Alloy Discovery Cannot Understand Multiple NICs?

Alloy Discovery is a comprehensive network discovery and inventory solution for medium and enterprise business environments delivering best-in-class features, usability, scalability, delivering up-to-date audit information for the entire organization.

Alloy Discovery Cannot Understand Multiple NICs?

Postby JeremyLC on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 am

I am receiving conflicts for a server because it has a matching computer name + serial number, but different MAC addresses. Silly Alloy. Of course it has different MAC addresses; it has more than one network adapter.

How do I handle this? For now I resolved the conflict by telling it to create an additional computer record. This way it won't keep yelling at me about conflicts, and it retains both MAC addresses in the database, but of course this is going to give me an inaccurate number of computers. There must be a cleaner way that I'm not seeing.

Administrative Settings > Conflicts and Errors > Conflict Resolution > Conflict List
Log details below:

[10/29/2012 12:18:28 AM] The audit status of the computer (computer1) is switched to <Audited>
[10/29/2012 12:18:28 AM] Processing the audit file: \\computer1\Admin$\RemAudit\AuditData\computer1_BOGTUNM3RO337D.adt
[10/29/2012 12:18:28 AM] Inventory Analyzer type: Win32, Inventory Analyzer version: 5.2.0.1506
[10/29/2012 12:18:28 AM] [WARNING] Conflict detected in the audit file, matched computer information - Computer Name: [computer1], Serial Num: [12345], MAC: [00:00:00:00:00:00]
[10/29/2012 12:18:28 AM] Finished processing the audit file
JeremyLC
Junior

Re: Alloy Discovery Cannot Understand Multiple NICs?

Postby eliaslynch on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I know in Navigator there are conflict resolution rules that factor in the MAC address of a computer. By default they require the address to be unique and I think it creates a conflict if they don't match. However, you can adjust the conflict rules not to consider MAC addresses.

Maybe that will help? Or are you talking about the Discovery side?

What I'm talking about is more for the Navigator side.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Re: Alloy Discovery Cannot Understand Multiple NICs?

Postby JeremyLC on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Yep you are talking about the same feature. The same conflict resolution piece exists in Discovery. The problem is that I don't want it to just disregard the conflict. That would just cause it to create duplicate records for these computers.

I can open up the two Computer objects, click the Configuration tab, expand Categories > Network > Network Adapters
On this screen, each of the computer objects correctly lists all the network adapters with their respective MAC addresses. This isn't what the conflict rule is looking at. Instead it is looking at the single 'MAC' field that appears on the Overview tab.
JeremyLC
Junior

Return to Alloy Discovery Enterprise 6