Audit - Location\Organization - Rules

Alloy Discovery is a comprehensive network discovery and inventory solution for medium and enterprise business environments delivering best-in-class features, usability, scalability, delivering up-to-date audit information for the entire organization.

Audit - Location\Organization - Rules

Postby gtherrien on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

Hi, I want to know if there is a manner to create a rule to automatically add the location/organization for a computer based on the domain name.

Like if I run Ina32 and make the audit, if the domain name is stratis-stjean it will automatically add the location Stratis Saint-jean and the organization Stratis.

Thank you.
gtherrien
Junior

Re: Audit - Location\Organization - Rules

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 pm

gtherrien wrote:Hi, I want to know if there is a manner to create a rule to automatically add the location/organization for a computer based on the domain name.

Yes, but not in Discovery. In Discovery there aren't fields to record location and organization anyway. I'm guessing you mean in Navigator after it's imported?

In Navigator the best way to do this is to create a function for computers. Inside that function create a series of if statements - one per domain. Then under each if statement, do an update field to set the location/organization to what you want it to be.

Then just reference the function in the computer service action's programming tab that is used to create computers from the Discovery import.

Oh, and you might want to add this to the one that updates computers, but I'd add something to it. Instead of running the function outright, in the update task's programming tab, create an if statement checking to see if the incoming domain is the same as the existing one. Only run the function if it's different.

Might as well save performance.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby gtherrien on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Ok Thanks I understand what you mean but can you tell me where can I create that function? I tough in Filter/Advanced filter/SQL mode, but I don't know if it's there, can you help me again please?

Thank you
gtherrien
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

The function is a group of operations. So when you go to the programming tab in any action, the items there are operations. To create a function, instead of going under the actions, go under workflow > components (I think that's it) > functions.

Create a list of operations in that function that you want to perform.

Keep in mind the reason to create a function is to have multiple workflow items share it.

Then, go back to the workflow item you want to do what the function does, and on the programming tab, add an execute function operation and point it to the function you just created.

Ask if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Discovery Enterprise 6