Adding new OEM software license

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management

Adding new OEM software license

Postby renee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 am

Forgive me if I am making this more complicated than it is supposed to be. I am still trying to get used to the new way of doing things in version 6.

My data entry assistant was able to enter an OEM license off of a new computer in a "1-click" method in version 5. I have been trying to replicate this in version 6, but it seems the only way to add a new OEM license key for a system takes going through about 4 levels of software license forms. And even then, I'm not sure how I got there or how to associate the license back to the system. When we audit a computer, it doesn't show the OS the system shipped with since we can upgrade all our systems to the latest OS using our campus agreement. We still need to track the original OEM license and associate it back to the system. Is there an easy "1-click" way to do this??
renee
Junior

Re: Adding new OEM software license

Postby eliaslynch on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Hmm, took me more clicks in v5. What was I doing wrong? lol

In v6 I just checked and I can allocate a license to a computer in about 4-5 clicks. If I need to create the license then it takes a couple more.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby renee on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 pm

I guess I should have been more specific that I was trying to create a new license key under a Tracked Software record and then associate that to a Computer. I was able to show Support what I was hoping to do, and am hoping to have this feature added to a future release. Under a Computer record on the Software tab, click on Allocated Licenses, then Allocate... When you select an existing Tracked Software record, there is only the option for "Open". It would be nice to have a "New" button here as well to create a new license.
renee
Junior

Postby tccwrd on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 am

Think I know what you mean. When you open computer.. software...allocated...it's not easy to create license from here. What I do is when I list tracked software, I right click them to open them, create the license and back out back to computer record. It's not perfect, but it works.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management Discussion