Workflow-Incident category filter based on Service category

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 6 application

Workflow-Incident category filter based on Service category

Postby trc_pdx on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

In a New Issue form (for Incident), I can filter the available Categories using Tags like this:

[Tags] LIKE '%{ISSUE}%'

In this case I have some Incident Categories tagged with {ISSUE} and so can limit the available categories to those when creating a new Incident of Type "Issue".

Also, on the Reclassify Incident form, I've been able to dynamically change the Categories available based on the new Incident Type using a Category filter like this:

[Tags] LIKE '%'+ %[Type_ID].[Tags]% +'%'

In this case I've tagged my Incident Types with tags that match the tags on the Categories I'd like to be available for those Types. So the Incident type "Issue" has a tag of {ISSUE}, and I have a set of Incident Categories also tagged with {ISSUE}, and when the Incident Type is changed in the Reclassify form, the available Categories for that Incident type are changed on the fly. Very cool.

So far so good. Now what I'm trying to do is filter the Incident Categories by the ~Service~ selected. Based on a given Service Category, some Incident Categories make sense and some don't. So it would be ideal if we could limit the Incident Categories based on the Service as well.

I have tagged my Service Categories but the logic doesn't seem to make the leap. Example: I have a Service called "E-Mail" with a Service Category of "Messaging". The Service Category "Messaging" has a Tag of {MESSAGE}.

And then I take an Incident Category, let's call it "Message Bounced", and I give it a Tag of {MESSAGE}.

I'd like to have the "Message Bounced" Incident Category available for the "E-Mail" Service, but that Category isn't relevant for another Service, say "VPN".

So on the Incident form, I try to use a Category filter like this:

[Tags] LIKE %[Service_ID].[Category_ID].[Tags]%

I'm trying to say 'show just the Incident Categories with tags that match the tags of the Category of the Service that's been selected.'

Alas, this doesn't seem to work. Instead, I get no Incident Categories.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
trc_pdx

Re: Workflow-Incident category filter based on Service category

Postby tccwrd on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:18 pm

If you want to filter categories based on the service selected, why not just add tags to categories for the service names? Then do the same thing almost by filtering the category like this

Code: Select all
[Tags] LIKE '%'+ %[Service_ID].[Name]% +'%'

So if you have a service called 'Email' the tag for the categories you want to use would be 'Email'. Unless you absolutely have to, I wouldn't use the Service Category. Name should do.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Re: Workflow-Incident category filter based on Service category

Postby trc_pdx on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:20 pm

>>> why not just add tags to categories for the service names? <<<

Why not indeed? That's a good idea. Thanks.
trc_pdx

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Discussion