Importing Incidents from old System

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 6 application

Importing Incidents from old System

Postby uniceftacro on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am

We're getting ready to shut down our old service desk system, I wonder if there is a way to import from a table the existing incidents?
uniceftacro

Re: Importing Incidents from old System

Postby tccwrd on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Check out the import wizard tool (think it's under administrative menu) It will let you import from a file or an ODBC connection. You just have to setup a connection string to your old db. Only draw back is you can't import linked table info, but there are ways around that if you need them.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Postby drcreek on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Using the Import wizard I don't get good field mapping going from 5.3 to 6.1. Is there an index anywhere for mapping old fields to the 6.1 fields?
drcreek
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm

drcreek wrote:Using the Import wizard I don't get good field mapping going from 5.3 to 6.1. Is there an index anywhere for mapping old fields to the 6.1 fields?

Can you explain dr?
Are you trying to use import wizard from db to db?
What are old fields? They are mostly the same.
janstonselig
Senior

Postby drcreek on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

When we upgraded from 5.3 to 6.01 I used the DB Mngmnt Wizard to migrate data. It only brought over 195 Incidents out of 2795. I then ran the Import Wizard to import the Object Class: Incidents. When Ifirst ran the wizard I did an ADO connect and then set the source table to Incidents. It is the next step that I am having difficulty with, the Field Mapping. The only field I mapped was tickets and this brought over the remaining 2600 incidents but with almost no data in them. I then did as complete mapping of all I could and it then populated the table with GUID's.
drcreek
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:23 pm

drcreek wrote:When we upgraded from 5.3 to 6.01 I used the DB Mngmnt Wizard to migrate data. It only brought over 195 Incidents out of 2795.

I would stop there and call support. That doesn't sound right to me that you should have to use the import wizard to get your data brought over. The upgrade process brought over all my data and that's what I expected to happen. Something must be seriously wrong and I'm sure it would be best to ask them before trying to use the import wizard to fix it.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Discussion