Automatically set complete date on Incidents?

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Automatically set complete date on Incidents?

Postby leewoc on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:34 am

Hi,

we're using Alloy Navigator 5.3 here at the moment.

My boss has asked me to provide a report showing mean time from submission of incidents to closure.

I've put something together but, at the moment, the figures are wrong because my engineers are forgetting to fill in the complete date when they close the incident.

Is there a business rule I can write that will automatically populate the complete date on an incident when the engineer closes it?

Thanks in Advance.
leewoc
Junior

Re: Automatically set complete date on Incidents?

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 pm

yup. create a rule with conditions like - status equals resolved, status has been changed. then set in actions for the completed date to be set to now. oh and it would be on created or modified.

one other thing, consider making a rule for when a ticket is reopened cause going from closed to another status means the completed date should probably be cleared.

you'll have to set conditions like this - status has been changed, old.status equals closed. then set the competed date in action tab to be cleared.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby leewoc on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Elias,

The idea sounds good but I'm something of a newbie to this so I could do with a bit more technical detail on how to actually do it!

For instance I tried creating a rule to set the complete date, but when I got to the action field the interface would just let me pick a real date from a calendar widget, whereas what I wanted to do was use a function to return the current date (like this 'now' function you mentioned?).

Sorry if I'm coming accross as a bit dense but the whole system is pretty new to me and I feel a bit like I've been chucked in the deep end right now ;-)
leewoc
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

leewoc wrote:The idea sounds good but I'm something of a newbie to this so I could do with a bit more technical detail on how to actually do it!

Np! We've all been there :)

leewoc wrote:For instance I tried creating a rule to set the complete date, but when I got to the action field the interface would just let me pick a real date from a calendar widget, whereas what I wanted to do was use a function to return the current date (like this 'now' function you mentioned?).

You are soooo close! In the action, you'll notice 3 areas - field, operation (I think that's what it's called) and value. Just set the field to completed date and the operation to set to now.
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion