Auto Log Alloy Ticket

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Auto Log Alloy Ticket

Postby pawaadmin on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Greetings,

At this stage our large organisation has implemented Alloy Navigator and it has definitely made life allot easier.

Were currently running version 5 and i just have a few questions.

At this stage alloy works fine there is no problem, but because we are such a large organisation there are obviously systems and policies that have to be employed.

I am the web admin for this organisation and i am developing a web request form so everyone can send requests via this form. There is a Generic email account in Microsoft Outlook that is linked to Alloy and when people send an email to this Generic email account it automatically log's a job.

At this stage my understanding is it will obviously take into account who sent the email, who received the email, the subject description and i think attachments.

But there are alot more variables that Alloy is capable of but im not sure how to utilise them sending an email.

Is there a way that perhaps "keywords" can be picked up within the email and automatically fill in specific fields. For example our required fields are Assignee Group, Category, and Related CI.

Is there a way that the we can somehow put in keywords within this email that Alloy can pick up and automatically inser this information in there?

We are running this form on our intranet and we are running a Content Management System (CMS) called MySource Matrix.

Also, im not sure what is available in Alloy Navigator 6 but perhaps having a notification feature would be helpful.

If this isnt possible within Alloy im guessing were going to have to customise our form so we can interact with the database itself and build my own custom SQL Queries.
pawaadmin
Junior

Re: Auto Log Alloy Ticket

Postby janstonselig on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:59 am

pawaadmin wrote:Is there a way that perhaps "keywords" can be picked up within the email and automatically fill in specific fields. For example our required fields are Assignee Group, Category, and Related CI.

Just curious, but why don't you use the web portal to have people submit tickets? I'm guessing your form may be fairly complicated?

You can search the subject and body of the email when it comes in to check if words are contained in them, but handling the related ci field might be difficult. I'm guessing you can also parse the info someway since Alloy allows for SQL in conditions and field updates, but I never tried it. You'll have to key off of the unique text from your form to identify fields - assignee_group: network team

pawaadmin wrote:Also, im not sure what is available in Alloy Navigator 6 but perhaps having a notification feature would be helpful.

Notification features are available in v5 and v6. What are you trying to do?
janstonselig
Senior

Postby eliaslynch on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 am

--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby pawaadmin on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:28 pm

janstonselig wrote:
pawaadmin wrote:Is there a way that perhaps "keywords" can be picked up within the email and automatically fill in specific fields. For example our required fields are Assignee Group, Category, and Related CI.

Just curious, but why don't you use the web portal to have people submit tickets? I'm guessing your form may be fairly complicated?

You can search the subject and body of the email when it comes in to check if words are contained in them, but handling the related ci field might be difficult. I'm guessing you can also parse the info someway since Alloy allows for SQL in conditions and field updates, but I never tried it. You'll have to key off of the unique text from your form to identify fields - assignee_group: network team

pawaadmin wrote:Also, im not sure what is available in Alloy Navigator 6 but perhaps having a notification feature would be helpful.

Notification features are available in v5 and v6. What are you trying to do?

So do you mean i would probably have to build a custom php form that automatically detects keywords and extract the required fields to do a custom SQL Query to insert or update information within alloy to get the functionality that i would like?

I do have the capacity to do this but time is of the essence and i was hoping there could be a more efficient way to do this.

Thanks heaps for your time!
pawaadmin
Junior

Postby pawaadmin on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

How do you activate auto notifications in alloy Navigator v5?

Cheers,
pawaadmin
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:21 pm

depends what you want to notify about. in general, you configure a business rule to check for conditions and then send an email when those conditions are true. when you choose event in business rules notice the text. they tell you want event is needed to use email notifications. then just configure an email notification in the action part.

ask if you need help.
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion