Web Account

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 5 Web Portals

Web Account

Postby SNC on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:09 am

i would like to create 1 main web access account for Customers, that allows all tickets etc to be shown
by all users that have logged tickets (such as by email) from that Customer i.e. show tickets by Org rather than by user is this possible for the Web access as would be a lot easier to manage

Thanks
SNC
Junior

Re: Web Account

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 pm

you can set your portal for sql auth and then create one client account for them all to use. you can then merge all the persons together into one and link that to the account. the downside is that you won't know who is who and they'll be able to add updates to each other's tickets. you'd have to have some way to identify the person submitting the ticket, a field or something for them to enter their info.

personally I don't think it would be easier to manage and I wouldn't recommend it. Do you not have active directory? are these all external customers to your network? have you looked at self registration option?

you may have other options to meet all your objectives. explain you situation a bit more.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby SNC on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi

All my Customers are External, so thats puts the active dir out of the running
i am using Sql auth all works well

currently a Customers staff may email, it will create a user etc no problem this works well
and of course i could create log on for each but really not keen on that
simply i want a generic logon for the customer so they log with just 1 username and password but showing
all the tickets from all users
I would like to assign a 'group' to a web login instead of a 'person' then all the users details would already be logged, this would seem to me to be the best way for a outsourced IT company

I have already created a custom field with a rule that copies the usersname to, when a ticket is created then i will update the ticket with a generic name to receive the same results, what do others do?
SNC
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:54 am

SNC wrote:I have already created a custom field with a rule that copies the usersname to, when a ticket is created then i will update the ticket with a generic name to receive the same results, what do others do?

I would bet most people in your situation would use that self registration feature to allow people to register just like they would at these forums (I never used it personally, but I'm not in your situation).

Having one account may seem good, but in any system you lose a lot when everyone shares an account. You won't be able to track ticket history or any information about individuals you support which in turn may result in poor customer service. I'm sure being a service provider that's the last thing you want.
janstonselig
Senior

Postby janstonselig on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Oh, and the group login isn't possible that I know of.

And to add, tracking some info via UDF is fine, but it's just text entry. There's no verification involved of who someone actually is.

How will you handle emailing customers back? Presuming you have one login, you will also have one email address. Unless you have people enter their email address into a UDF each time they submit a ticket.
janstonselig
Senior

Postby SNC on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for your replys

what i want to acheive, is a way for a Customer and see all tickets from all employees
if a manager wants to know all tickets active or otherwise from any user, the easiest way would be a generic login (putting aside logging of requests etc)

if he has 5 users he will not want to login under each user to see whats happening
even if's its view only it would be far easier
SNC
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm

it's a trade off, I guess, but I'd always try to avoid shared logins in all cases. so many reasons why it's bad. I would use other ways to do this if I could. for instance, I'd give the manage a tech login for the tech portal and limit their rights before using shared logins or wait until v6 to schedule reports for the manager.

once you go shared login it will be messy to change and you will lose so much control.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Web Portal Discussion