Conflict with Backup Exec

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Conflict with Backup Exec

Postby pnewell on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

I updated my backup infrastructure recently from Backup Exec 11d to Backup Exec 12.5. The update went without any real issues except for on my Alloy Navigator 5 server (v5.3.0 build 509); the BE Remote Agent will not start Automatically.
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few different times and a few different ways, but it never seemed to fix the problem. So I opened a support case with Symantec, and they decided "Okay, let's disable all of the non-Microsoft and non-Symantec system services and see what happens". I did, and as it turns out, the "Alloy Inventory Server" is having some conflict with the BE Remote Agent service and causing the BE service to time-out and never begin.
So if I set the Alloy Inventory Server to manual the BE service starts just fine. Thing is, I need them both to run automatically.

Has anyone else run into this before? If so, how was it resolved?
If not, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
pnewell
Junior

Re: Conflict with Backup Exec

Postby VTBanker on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Ummm... interesting. I just upgraded to version 12.5 and everything is working fine. Exactly which service did you kill to make the back up agent run? Are you sure that your agent is at 12.5 also?
One way to work around it is to schedule the Invetory outside of your backup window but I think it should be able to run together.
VTBanker
Senior

Postby pnewell on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 am

VTBanker wrote:Ummm... interesting. I just upgraded to version 12.5 and everything is working fine. Exactly which service did you kill to make the back up agent run? Are you sure that your agent is at 12.5 also?
One way to work around it is to schedule the Invetory outside of your backup window but I think it should be able to run together.

I don't need to kill any service/process to make the agent run, I simply need to set the Alloy Inventory Server service to "Manual". If I do that then the BERAWS service starts & runs automatically. If the Alloy Inventory Server service is set to "Automatic" it causes the BERAWS agent to "Time-Out" and never start. I even set it to "Restart the service on failure" 3x. Still wouldn't work.
And yes, I am positive that the agent installed is 12.5; I've tried to push the install from the Backup Exec media server and I've tried to run the setup manually from the "Agents" directory on the media server.

As for the backups, they run fine as long as the agent is running, either by being set at Automatic or Manual (and starting the BERAWS service after it boots).

What I had to do in order to get them both to work properly is to set the BERAWS service to Automatic and the Alloy Inventory Server service to Manual and have a task scheduled that starts the Alloy Inventory Server service at "System Start".
While it works, I think it's more of a Band-aid than anything else.
pnewell
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Not sure what the issue is, but maybe you can simply delay the Inventory Server from loading until after your Backup Exec services?

How to delay loading of specific services
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=193888
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion