Creating Workorders with Parentticket via business rules

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Creating Workorders with Parentticket via business rules

Postby MK on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:21 am

Hello,
in our company a user can create an incident via helpdeskselfservice. Sometimes more then one assigneegroup is necessary to complete the task. When this ticket is created a mail is sent to mailconnector via business rule. Mailconnector is configured to create workorders when a new mail is sent. The problem is that this workorder has no relation to the "initial-ticket". The parent-field in workorders generaltab is empty. I can parse the ticketnumber of the parentticket to a userdefined field of the workorder successfully (with actionoperator "calculate"), but parsing to the parentfield of the workorder is not possible because it's a dropdownfield and "calculate" is not listed in actionoperators.
How is it possible to relate a workorder to a ticket via a business rule ?

regards
Matt
MK

Re: Creating Workorders with Parentticket via business rules

Postby janstonselig on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:48 am

MK wrote:Hello,
in our company a user can create an incident via helpdeskselfservice. Sometimes more then one assigneegroup is necessary to complete the task. When this ticket is created a mail is sent to mailconnector via business rule. Mailconnector is configured to create workorders when a new mail is sent. The problem is that this workorder has no relation to the "initial-ticket". The parent-field in workorders generaltab is empty. I can parse the ticketnumber of the parentticket to a userdefined field of the workorder successfully (with actionoperator "calculate"), but parsing to the parentfield of the workorder is not possible because it's a dropdownfield and "calculate" is not listed in actionoperators.
How is it possible to relate a workorder to a ticket via a business rule ?

I want to first understand.

• you have a ticket created via the web portal
  • that ticket generates an email to a mailconnector set to create work orders
  • you want to be able to link those work orders to the original ticket created via the web portal

Is that right? If so, I wouldn't go about it this way especially if the number of work orders required are not that many.

Consider using templates. For instance, we have a template for when we get a new employee starting. When I select the template it not only creates an incident, but automatically creates the various work orders we need underneath it. I have an email address that human resources uses too called newuser@mycompany.com that is hooked up to a mailconnector job and in turn that template.

Now since you can only associate one template with the web portal, when a ticket requiring tasks comes in you'd have to go to the work order tab and select the work order templates for the work needed which is simple to do.

Keep in mind when support helped me with this they told me that the creation of objects via business logic would be possible in the next version.
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion