Software Recognition for SQL 2005

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Software Recognition for SQL 2005

Postby gsingleton@securaplane.co on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Does anyone have a way to distinguish between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Express? I have a full-blown version of SQL server loaded on one server, and SQL Server Express on three more, but the inventory module lumps them all together.
gsingleton@securaplane.co

Re: Software Recognition for SQL 2005

Postby janstonselig on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:07 am

gsingleton@securaplane.co wrote:Does anyone have a way to distinguish between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Express? I have a full-blown version of SQL server loaded on one server, and SQL Server Express on three more, but the inventory module lumps them all together.

Yeah, you can credit Microsoft for that actually. The registry entries they add to the uninstall key of the registry, which is what Alloy picks up, doesn't distinguish between the two versions. It's nuts!

I worked with Alloy support on this and found the only way to get around this is to use file scanning. You're going to have to setup file scanning to search for a file associated with each version of SQL (I think I used the main exe), then edit each of the the software rules or create new ones in the Software Recognition Manager to include the file scanning information.

I know that's a quick explanation so reply if you have questions and I'll try to help. Or just contact support, cause they were quick in helping me resolve this.
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion