Not All Serial Numbers Showing Up

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Not All Serial Numbers Showing Up

Postby ses1965 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm

We have some Toshiba Tablet -M700 newest model that I have it set for Machine BIOS Serial Number and it works great. Last years model of the Toshiba -M400 does not pick up the BIOS Serial Number at all it just lists it as 00000000. I have tried to see if it picks it up under the INFO Serial Number but no such luck. Any idea as to why the same manufacturer would work for one model but not the other? Also when is the new release for Network Inventory going to be released. I am really looking forward to the change of Owner after every new login. Thanks.
ses1965
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:01 pm

I've had this issue before and it's typically manufacturer related. There's two places where the serial number is pulled from with Alloy products.

1. BIOS
  2. System Enclosure

Depending on the manufacturer and sometimes model they may be stored in one place or another. Who knows, maybe the manufacturer decided to change to Dell's system. I believe Dell only uses the system enclosure now.

What manufacturer/model of computers do you have?
janstonselig
Senior

Postby ses1965 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 am

I have figured it out. For whatever reason when the mainboards for the M400's were put into these systems they never matched a serial number with them which is why it is coming up with 000000000. I have got my hands on Toshiba's CD that lets you go into the options to change the serial number. I have replaced the serial number from 000000000 to its one shown on the back of the base. It works great now. Thanks.
ses1965
Junior

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4