The RPC server is unavailable

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

The RPC server is unavailable

Postby Alexandre on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:05 am

Hello :!:

I want to test Alloy software, which I have installed correctly on my pc, but for some reasons I cannot connect to other computers to the error mentioned in the subject line.

I have checked on the other pc I am trying to connect, and the RPC service is running...

Any idea on how to solve this?

Maybe this thread would answer my question, if this is still not possible, then I can't use Alloy software on my network (because of ISA server):

http://www.alloy-software.com/phpBB2/vi ... hlight=rpc

Cheers, Alexandre
Alexandre

Re: The RPC server is unavailable

Postby pille on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Alexandre,

Typically this issue is caused by either a configuration issue or something in your environment not setup in the ideal way. See the kb article below for some troubleshooting steps and if you still have an issue, contact us directly at support@alloy-software.com with the results of the tests, etc

On-Demand Audit Troubleshooting Guide
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order for the On Demand Audit to function properly:

1. The dedicated account for on demand audit MUST have a non-blank password and MUST have administrative privileges.

2. Check that DCOM is enabled on both the server and the client machine. Check it in either way:

a. The following registry value on both computers:

Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE, value: EnableDCOM, should be set to 'Y'

b. Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Component Services, Component Services, Computers nodes, Right-click My Computer, Properties, Default Properties tab, click to select the Enable Distributed COM on this computer

3. Check that WMI is installed. WMI is present by default in Windows 2000 and later operating systems, but must be installed manually on NT4 and Win 9x - Me systems. To check for the presence of WMI, type "wbemtest" into the Run box (Start Menu). If the WMI Tester application starts up, then WMI is present, if not, it must be installed.

4. Ensure that WMI permissions have been set correctly for the dedicated on demand account. Please consult the 'Configuring Remote Clients for On-Demand Auditing' section of the Getting Started Guide for details. The Guide can be found by opening C:\Program Files\Alloy Software\Network Inventory 4\doc.

5. On a Windows XP Pro computer, make sure that remote logons are not being coerced to the GUEST account, which is enabled by default computers that are not attached to a domain. To do this, open the Local Security Policy editor (e.g. by typing 'secpol.msc' into the Run box, without quotes). Expand the "Local Policies" node and select "Security Options". Now scroll down to the setting titled "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts". If this is set to "Guest only", change it to "Classic" and restart your computer.

netsh firewall set service type = remoteadmin mode = enable

6. If you have other internal firewalls on your network, you may have to configure them to allow WMI messages.

Even if you are not knowingly running any firewall software, bear in mind that big-name antivirus solutions such as those produced by McAfee and Symantec often contain their own firewall functionality. If such software is not properly configured to allow WMI traffic, then this may be the cause of the problem.

7. Make sure that no remote access or WMI-related services have been disabled. On an XP machine, the following services should be running (or at least allowed to start on demand):

COM+ Event System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Remote Registry
Server
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
WMI Performance Adapter
Workstation
Contact Technical Services directly: