On- demand audit not working, how to auto audit?

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

On- demand audit not working, how to auto audit?

Postby RBF on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 am

Hi all,

I seem to be having the infamous "RPC Server Unavailable," error with the On-Demand Audit.

Now this would not bother me if I could setup the Inventory to run automatically at certain times or whenever computers logged on etc, but theres no simple way of doing this as I am wihtout any significant scripting experience (which seems to be the way to get this working).

The other thing is, the guy before me (I have taken the role a year and a half since he left) managed to have it working on some level as there were around 50 old PC's audited by him, but those details are now out of date obviously and there has been no other decent IT staff since before I joined and after he left. (His audits were carried out Feb 2006).

From what I have read in the forum, auto auditing doesn't seem to be a problem with the RPC issue, would anyone be able to give me a pointer on how to set it up to run automatically?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

EDIT:

I have just checked our logon scripts .bat file and the IT Engineer before actually had it working via this it seems, with some scripting. How ever, it no longer picks up the machines as they log in and updates the audit (my machine has not been picked up at all).
RBF
Junior

Postby pille on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 am

Welcome RBF 8)

I'll give you a quick overview.

When you setup the Network Inventory tool (and this goes the same for our other products) you'll wind up having a Windows Share with the INA32.EXE file inside it. In order to run the file from the login script you can easily do that by adding the path to the executable. For instance, it would be something like this

\\servername\sharename\ina32.exe

Once it's in the script, whoever runs the login script will then in turn run the executable.

If you'd like, go ahead and post your login script section here if you have trouble. There could be an issue with the script itself... but there's also a chance that the login script is not being run as well.

Verifying the ina32.exe location and path as well as whether or not users of your network are running the login script is essential.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Postby RBF on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am

Pille,

thanks for your reply.

I can run the audit software as each user from the machine if I manually start the ina32.exe audit tool, this will then generate the data snap shot as required and deposit it into the proper folder as well, it just seems to be getting the tool to run automatically when someone logs in that will not work right now.

The script is being ran as well, as in active directory on the profiles of the usre they are set to utilise the script.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the current script:

@echo off
rem NET USE X: /DELETE
rem NET USE X: \\server\Audit
rem x:
rem cd Agent
rem START /WAIT ina32.exe /debug /force
rem c:
cmd /c cscript.exe \\SERVER IP\netlogon\startup.vbs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have also tried with this:

@echo off
rem NET USE X: \\Server\Audit
rem x:
rem cd Agent
rem START /WAIT ina32.exe /debug
rem c:
cmd /c cscript.exe \\Server IP\netlogon\startup.vbs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and this!:

@echo off
rem NET USE X: \\Server\Audit
rem x:
rem cd Agent
rem START /WAIT \\server\Audit\Agent ina32.exe /debug
rem c:
cmd /c cscript.exe \\Server IP\netlogon\startup.vbs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just am not sure where and what is not working as I intend! Any insight and help would be appreciated!

PS: This is ran from a .bat file we also have a startup.vbs file as well, but there doesn't seem to be anything in there (which is probabaly why it's not being ran) but I have literally no experince of scripting.
RBF
Junior

Postby pille on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:49 pm

RBF wrote:Pille,
Here is the current script:

@echo off
rem NET USE X: \\server\Audit
rem x:
rem cd Agent
rem START /WAIT ina32.exe /debug /force
rem c:
cmd /c cscript.exe \\SERVER IP\netlogon\startup.vbs

I would probably try and simplify a bit. Is this the login script? If so you can replace all of this with one simply line.

\\server\audit\ina32.exe

That would be all you need.

As far as whether or not the actual script is running when end users login that's another story. If they don't run the login script of course adding that line does nothing.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4