New suggestion WOL

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

New suggestion WOL

Postby Joel on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:26 am

After testing with the Personal version, this product was a no-brainer to purchase. The amount of time saved by manually updating my access database will more than pay for itself in 3 to 4 months. I purchased the Pro version and enjoy the added enhancements which it brings, specifically the tie into VNC.

My suggestion is to add one more tool to this fuctionality. Once pc's sync up with the database, their MAC and IP are known. The added tool would be to allow the admin to select a pc from the database and if it is not currently running, use the external tools menu to send a Wake On Lan magic packet to the pc. Then the manager can work on the PC through VNC.

Thanks for the powerfull tool.

Joel
Joel
Junior

VNC

Postby sureshk on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:12 am

Could you please help me in conf. VNC, as i could not set it on our installation. does vnc client reside on every pc or only ther server

Thanks in advance
sureshk

VNC

Postby Joel on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:10 am

You can download the free edition from www.realvnc.com. Then, on the machine which you will be managing others and running Network Inventory 4.2, you have to install the VNC viewer (to default locations is ok, just remember the path). Then on all client machines you need to install the VNC server only. The defaults settings for this install are recommended as well. Be sure to set a password on the client before exiting.

Then, in Network Inventory 4.2, Computer list tab, right click on the PC with VNC server loaded, go to external tools/configure external tools. Select VNC edit and change the path of VNC viewer executeable to its default install location on your machine.

Next time you right click on a PC in the list and select external tools, click VNC and it will prompt you for the password you set when you installed the VNC server on the client pc.

It is a VERY nice tool, now, if it could just wake up any sleeping PC's in the Computer list, that would make it a VERY EXCELLENT tool.
Joel
Junior

Postby imobilia on Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 am

Someone has found the possibility to launch VNCSERVER from command line (no installation on the clients) ?

I am trying with PSEXEC, but i have problems with autentication...

The command line is psexec.exe d \\%name% \\server\Apps\Vnc\winvnc4.exe -start -password pippo
Ist the correct format?

I tried to launc the viewer psexec.exe -d \\%name% \\server\Apps\Vnc\vncviewer.exe -listen but when I make a connectrion with the vncserver (admin PC) i cannot take control.

Any idea?
imobilia

Postby imobilia on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:09 am

I resolved wit STRCM tool.
imobilia

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4