Asset versus CI and importing data from Alloy Discovery

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management

Asset versus CI and importing data from Alloy Discovery

Postby jasonstarkey on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

I have been going through and cleaning up a bunch of older legacy data out of our alloy navigator and setting up the alloy discovery as well as the import job, all works pretty good. However our environment is roughly 80% virtual and 20% physical in terms of server infrastructure...and that is what i'm focusing on first in terms of asset managment...When the Alloy Discovery data is pulled into Alloy Navigator it adds the servers as assets...however i see that as not necessary in terms of all the virtual servers I have...

My definitions of Assets are CI are that Assets are mostly used for things associated to finances where as CIs are mostly for operational purposes...For all my audited systems that are physical in nature i can see having alloy create asset records, but for most of my servers, virtual, this seems really counterproductive since i have to go back and do a bunch of recleaning just to keep things straight...and then the updates recreate the asset record back in there again....ugh...

Can someone educate me as to the correct process...because i'm apparently not understanding this clearly.

Thanks!
Jason
jasonstarkey

Re: Asset versus CI and importing data from Alloy Discovery

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 pm

I think your thoughts make sense. If you have a physical server running Windows 2000 it's a CI and an Asset. The Asset holds the financial and the CI holds the configuration info. However, if the case of virtual machines, you may have a physical server housing 20 virtual machines in which case you might only have one Asset record linked to the one physical server host.

I guess what gets tricky is when the virtual appliances you purchased from somewhere and they have financial value with expiration dates and all that.

It comes down to what you want to track and what's important to you. Either way you can modify the workflow to support the approach you use.

In the effort not to answer creating more questions, if I had a typical virtual machine setup, I'd probably have an asset for the physical box along with the CI for it. Then I'd have all the virtual machines detected and I would use related objects to relate them to the physical box with a special reason like "Virtual Host" vs. "Virtual Machine". I probably wouldn't care to use an Asset for each one unless I was renting the virtual appliance from somewhere.

Hope that helps.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management Discussion