Page 1 of 1

Alloy Discover V 6.0.1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 am
by SitusIT
Is anyone else less than thrilled with Discovery in the latest version ? I realize most who visit this forum, visit to search for answers, which by the way I've done in the past and has helped, so I'd like to apologize for my negativity up front.
That being said, AN5 Inventory was/is a superior product, in the prior release I was knew almost immediatley who in my user community was logged on and where they were logged on and to what resource(PC). The inventory process executed via the users logon script and was captured and synced to the AN database and our technicians could easily handle pc related problems by viewing the Computers list in navigator and quickly see via that section the pc, determine last boot date, IP, configured software.....they could then at that point remote control into the users pc and trouble shoot, if needed.
Again , realize I'm new to AN6, but I have yet to determine how I can get the same functionality with this version of the software, I honestly am almost ready to punt and run AN5 until it dies and purchase another product. Note, I have been a relatively happy customer of this product since 2006.
So if anyone could perhaps point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

Re: Alloy Discover V 6.0.1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:29 am
by janstonselig
You SHOULD be able to do the same things. I say SHOULD since I don't know all you want to do, but from what I've seen so far there's more functionality. There is a bit more in between though with the entirely separate app and the connector service.

SitusIT wrote:The inventory process executed via the users logon script and was captured and synced to the AN database


You can use this same method with discovery. I think it's called network folder. In fact you can configure a network folder in dv6 to point towards your existing folder and not have to change the existing login script at all.

SitusIT wrote:and our technicians could easily handle pc related problems by viewing the Computers list in navigator and quickly see via that section the pc, determine last boot date, IP, configured software


Do you have the av6 connector setup? If you do, look at the connector job. You'll see on one of the tabs you can setup service actions. In the create and update service actions there are field mappings. You can map a lot more info from the snapshot now to whatever field you want.

SitusIT wrote:they could then at that point remote control into the users pc and trouble shoot, if needed.


This part IMO is easier now because the new action setup allows you to use external tools anywhere, for instance tickets or computers, whatever.

SitusIT wrote:Again , realize I'm new to AN6, but I have yet to determine how I can get the same functionality with this version of the software, I honestly am almost ready to punt and run AN5 until it dies and purchase another product. Note, I have been a relatively happy customer of this product since 2006.
So if anyone could perhaps point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.


Who knows, maybe there's some other reason v6 isn't right for you, but I'm not sure these are those reasons. For me (this doesn't mean it's the same for you) these areas are improved and more flexible, but also a bit more complicated than v5.

I was lucky enough to be in on the beta testing so I've worked with it for a bit. If you have a specific question ask it and myself or others I'm sure would be happy to try to help. Otherwise give support a call. They do this jumpstart program thing where they spend a chunk of time going over different aspects of the product with you. I did it once and I found it helpful.