Asset Management in 6 vs 5

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management

Asset Management in 6 vs 5

Postby m698322h on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 am

We have upgraded our environment in a test environment and the Asset Management seems much more cumbersome in 6 than it was in 5.

In 5 we use to be able to create a computer and fill out all fields (asset, finance, etc) then an audit would fill in the rest of the fields. In 6 I am not able to do anything of the sort. I am not even able to edit the Asset tag or finance info of an existing system.

My user is currently set to Administrator role.

Is there any good documentation on the new system? I do have a couple test systems auditing but we do not put the Asset in the bios.

I would like this working somewhat like v5 if possible.
m698322h
Junior

Re: Asset Management in 6 vs 5

Postby eliaslynch on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 pm

one major change is how assets and ci were separated out. this means asset tag/finance stuff is in the asset record and the computer stuff is in the computer record. I was told this was to separate finance from configuration data which does make sense.

anyway, if you open a computer and the finance tab is grayed out it has no asset related. if you can access it, click on the name link to launch the asset record. once in there click on the update information task in the action bar to edit the asset tag.

you may also not be used to the approach they used with the read only fields. the idea is that task actions with customized forms would handle data entry. I didn't like it at first, but now that I get it I kinda like it that way. it's a big change you have to get used to.

as far as documentation, check the admin guide in the support portal, but if you can't find it, just give support a call. they helped me understand this a bit better when I was originally unsure.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby m698322h on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Thank you so much! It was just confusing. In the last 24 hours I have made some headway in getting the pilot release configured. I am just noticing how much more granular things can be set. The thing that really threw me off was fields in tickets not enabled for certain groups or users. Now I am on my way to getting it close to what we had, and even more secure.
m698322h
Junior

Postby kody on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:07 pm

This has also been an area where we have struggled quite a bit. For example if we order in a new computer, we were confused if we were supposed to create an Asset, a Computer, or both. I am sure that we need both but is strange that by default there is no way to automatically create one from the other. Support did help me set up a Task to create a related asset from the computer record. I am still a little put off by the fact that the Asset record has some duplicate information as the Computer record. For example I can specify and manufacturer in the Computer Record and a differend manufacturer in the Asset Record. I see the logic behind separating the two, but to me, they seem a little TOO separated.
kody
Junior

Postby janstonselig on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 am

kody wrote:This has also been an area where we have struggled quite a bit. For example if we order in a new computer, we were confused if we were supposed to create an Asset, a Computer, or both. I am sure that we need both but is strange that by default there is no way to automatically create one from the other.

Yeah some cases you can't create objects because tasks don't exist. Manually it's possible. You can't create an Asset from a Hardware record by default. Supported helped me with that too and then I created tasks for the other things.
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Asset Management Discussion