Page 1 of 1

Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm
by SitusIT
This is what I would like to do, and don't know if it's possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
I have a number of Conference Rooms that need to be scheduled and setup for various events (training, meetings...).

Is there a way for to create a Category in SSP called Conference Room(s) (for example), and create logic around this so when an end user submits a new ticket via SSP that when the condidtion is met (category = conference room) , display a specific form which would give the user options to choose from (i.e. Conference room number, which would be a list(drop down of available rooms) , reason / description, any equipment needed .....)

I've looked at the documentation regarding Tags .. List Items ... Forms ... but haven't quite figured it out.

Thanks again.

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 am
by pille
SitusIT wrote:Is there a way for to create a Category in SSP called Conference Room(s) (for example), and create logic around this so when an end user submits a new ticket via SSP that when the condidtion is met (category = conference room) , display a specific form which would give the user options to choose from (i.e. Conference room number, which would be a list(drop down of available rooms) , reason / description, any equipment needed .....)


Nah, unfortunately there are no conditional forms in AN6. Not yet.

However, in AN6.1.0 (out before year's end) there will be the ability to have multiple create actions in the Self-Service Portal. What this means is the ability to allow end users to choose, when creating Incidents - New Technical Issue, New Software Request, New Computer Request, New Conference Room Request, etc.

Each one of these create actions can have their own form associated with them and if you wanted, you could either have a special UDF field shown or you could have the category field shown and filtered to show only the conference room categories or you can simply have that category filled in via the template.

That will probably solve your dilema :)

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:47 am
by SitusIT
Thank you for the information, will wait for the updates. Thanks again.

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 am
by SitusIT
Hello Paul,

I've just upgraded to the new version of Alloy, and so far I've liked what i've seen, you all have made some great improvments.

I'm trying to understand how to create a so called drop down list for SSP users to choose (for example) from a list of Conference Rooms.. You indicated that in this version I could create actions and associate a form ... i'm not the worlds best programmer, wondering if there is (or you know of) some examples already created I could see / modifiy for my needs.

Thanks as always for the help.

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:41 am
by pille
SitusIT wrote:I've just upgraded to the new version of Alloy, and so far I've liked what i've seen, you all have made some great improvments.


Very glad to hear you think so :)

SitusIT wrote:I'm trying to understand how to create a so called drop down list for SSP users to choose (for example) from a list of Conference Rooms.. You indicated that in this version I could create actions and associate a form


I'm not sure if there's any examples for exactly what you want to do since I'm not completely sure of the details. I need to ask some questions.

- How will you need to use this data later on?
- What is the conference room information being provided for? A conference room request?

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am
by SitusIT
thanks for the quick response,

this is really what I'd like to try do for the end SSP user to correcly create an incedent or request.

on the SSP if my category could be Conference Room Request, then from that selection the user could select from a list of available rooms to schedule and what is needed in each room (i.e. projector, laptop, webex session, video conference....).

Currently I have a seperate category with each available room with a title of User/Request/Conference Room/Room 1 ..... and that's a little cumbersome for the SSP user as they tend not to scroll to the indivdual room , they seem to be lazy and just select the first category, which i would rather not have happen.

hope this makes some kind of sense.

thanks again

Re: Categories in SSP Just a Question

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:10 pm
by janstonselig
SitusIT wrote:Currently I have a seperate category with each available room with a title of User/Request/Conference Room/Room 1 ..... and that's a little cumbersome for the SSP user as they tend not to scroll to the indivdual room , they seem to be lazy and just select the first category, which i would rather not have happen.


I would make the type 'conference room request' and then create a validation rule to make sure the lazy requesters give you what you want. It should be easy enough to do cause you can test if Type = this and Category = that, tell them to select a room. Then just create an Action for the SSP called Request Conf Room or something. Not sure how you'd handle the equipment needed. Maybe put some text in the description with the template to ask them questions to answer?