Windows Auth

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 6 Web Portals

Windows Auth

Postby kody on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Has anyone sucessfully set up both portals to use Windows Authentication either with SQL on the same server or perferably with SQL on a remote server? I don't know why I am having so many issues as I have set up many websites in IIS before. As a bank we also prefer to use windows accounts rather than have passwords in the web.config.

I have a ticket open for this as well but would like to hear what experiences others have had. When you run the web portal configuration wizard it asks for an Alloy Service Account to use and on the SSP it is looking for a windows account. If you supply a windows account it places the credentials into the web.config as if they were SQL credentials.

I think I am about ready to pull my hair out. I did not put all the details/error messages in this post since I already have that info in my support ticket but if anyone here wants to take a crack at it, I can provide more info? I would like to hear how everyone else is configured.

Thanks.

Kody
kody
Junior

Re: Windows Auth

Postby BMayo on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:25 am

I'm running an EVAL of version 6 for our company. I'm struggling with the same issues. I find the documentation of explanations to be very quick and vague at best. I have noticed the same issues you have, so you are not alone.

I have not put in a ticket. I probably should. I'm curious as to how your efforts are moving along?

This is my fourth day on the subject, off and on, and I too am about ready to just pull the plug on the whole project becuase of this one issue. It can't possibly be this hard to get working. I feel like I am missing some simple step.

In the SQL logs, I notice that even though I am asking for Windows auth, the impersonating account is trying to do SQL auth and flagging the error "nt account attempting to logon using sql authentication".

Going crazy.
BMayo

Re: Windows Auth

Postby kody on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:36 pm

I think I am getting closer and have it mostly working now. One thing that really helped is a link given to me by support to an application you can place on your web server. You then access the application from a client machine via a web browser and it has tests to check if your integrated authentication is working between the IIS server and the SQL server. The link is: http://www.iis.net/community/default.as ... g=6&i=1887

The other thing I had to do was manually edit the web.config files for both portals to fix where it was trying to use windows credentials for SQL authentication. Specifically for the user portal change the connection strings to the following:

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=servername;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

<add name="AlloyNavigatorDB" connectionString="Data Source=servername;Initial Catalog=AlloyNavigator6;Integrated Security=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/></connectionStrings>

<sessionState mode="SQLServer" sqlConnectionString="Data Source=servername;Integrated Security=true" cookieless="AutoDetect" timeout="20"/>

I also had to change the impersontate line by just deleting the credentials and fixing the typo so the line reads:

<identity impersonate="true"/></system.web>

I have tried so many things that I might be missing something but I think these are the steps that were actually fruitful. I now have my tech portal working and the user portal logs in just fine and does not generate any errors, but for some reason it also does not list any tickets so that is what we are working on now.
kody
Junior

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Web Portal Discussion