Reopening tickets by OOO and "Thank you"-mail

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 6 application

Reopening tickets by OOO and "Thank you"-mail

Postby svenn-erik on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to stop the reopening of the resolved tickets when the users just replies with a "Thank you" or when you get an OOF (Out-of-Office) message back?

I was thinking about just blocking it for reopen by mail, but that seems a little more user hostile than friendly..

\Svenn-Erik
svenn-erik

Re: Reopening tickets by OOO and "Thank you"-mail

Postby tccwrd on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 am

I think you'd have to set conditions in the mail connector to abort the update to the ticket or set conditions to stop the changing of the status and allow the ticket update.

Sometimes it can be tricky though. For instance, if you tell it to abort updating the ticket with the incoming email when the email contains "out of office", what if someone forwarded it with comments? You'll want to analyze the incoming email.

You could close tickets right away, but that would prevent updates that are important.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Postby markp on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 am

We use Exchange here. The mail connector runs under the username it.helpdesk. To catch OOO emails we set a mailbox rule in Outlook for that user which says to delete any incoming OOO messages. The 'thanks' mails are just a case of user training and drop off with time ( not that many or our users say thanks! :) ).
markp

Postby tccwrd on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 pm

markp wrote:( not that many or our users say thanks! :) ).

I should hope that's them not being courteous and not your lack of amazing service! :)
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Postby trc_pdx on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:13 pm

@markp thanks for that suggestion. I created a server side rule on that incoming mailbox to delete automatic replies. Does the trick nicely.

Wondering if anybody else doesn't like the way that the original message in e-mail replies is written to the activity details. Suppose we send a notification e-mail to the requester on creation or resolution, or through the notify requester task. There may be quite a bit of information in that e-mail, including all the boilerplate stuff. If the requester replies without deleting the original message from the body of their e-mail, all of it is written to the activity log. None of it really needs to be there since it's all captured elsewhere. Compare this to the way the activity log looks if the requester updates the ticket via the SSP. Much cleaner that way.

We've added something to the e-mail notifications asking the recipient to delete the original message from their reply. Not all that effective.

Is it just me who'd like to find a better way?
trc_pdx

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Discussion