Services model

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 6 application

Services model

Postby trc_pdx on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm finding the Service model in AN6 cumbersome. Wondering if I'm missing something or if anyone else has some thoughts on it.

Suppose I have what we consider a "service", let's call it "ERP". Apparently I need to create four Service records for "ERP", one for each of the ticket classes - Incident, Problem, Change Request, and Work Order.

I have a problem with this. I don't have four "ERP" services, I have one. And I should be able to open a ticket of any type against that service.

Moreover, if I want to represent a Service Map in the data, I should be able to relate one or more CIs, like servers, switches, routers, etc., to one or more technical services, like "ERP App Server", "ERP Database", etc. And finally, one or more of those technical services to the business service the end-users interact with: "ERP".

This map should represent all of the forward and backward relationships and dependencies.

If all of these Services are duplicated four times, once for each ticket class, the whole thing becomes untenable.
trc_pdx

Re: Services model

Postby tccwrd on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm

This caught my attention cause I didn't set mine up yet and I know I will have to eventually. I'm in the same boat, but maybe I have a different take or at least questions.

trc_pdx wrote:Suppose I have what we consider a "service", let's call it "ERP". Apparently I need to create four Service records for "ERP", one for each of the ticket classes - Incident, Problem, Change Request, and Work Order.

This makes me ask you why? Having an ERP service for all ticket classes would give the idea that all ticket classes are for the same thing. Wouldn't Incidents be for providing ERP service, but the other tickets used to support other supporting services that help IT provide ERP service?

This is just a kneejerk comment consider. I don't know the best way to set this up. Thing is, so far I don't think the model is clunky. It's far better than v5 was. I just don't have good examples of how to use it for tickets other than incidents.

trc_pdx wrote:Moreover, if I want to represent a Service Map in the data, I should be able to relate one or more CIs, like servers, switches, routers, etc., to one or more technical services, like "ERP App Server", "ERP Database", etc.

Check out configurations. I think that's what they are used for. This way you can create one configuration called ERP and have that related to several CI.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Re: Services model

Postby trc_pdx on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for helping me think this through Gary.
trc_pdx

Return to Alloy Navigator 6 Discussion