INA32 with Login Script User_Name doesn't appear

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

INA32 with Login Script User_Name doesn't appear

Postby hizack on Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:03 am

I\'ve tried to launch this command : START /WAIT K:ASSETina32.EXE /nameformat=\"%LN% %FN%\" in a login script.
After the execution was performed, I have opend the relative file *.adt and I\'ve seen that the field \"User_Name= \" was empty.
If I launch START /WAIT K:ASSETina32.EXE /nameformat=\"%LN% %FN%\" from \"RUN\" it work fine...
Why ?!?!
hizack

Postby Support Team on Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:40 pm

We hope you would find the answer in the following excerpt from the online help.

IMPORTANT NOTE: User ID cannot be identified correctly at the login time on Windows 95 and Windows 98. Also, Windows 95/98 does not support the standard environment variables available on Windows NT, therefore the %USERNAME% environment variable cannot be passed to ina32.exe to provide the user ID as a parameter.

For more information see Q169227 in Microsoft Knowledge Base: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q169227

The Inventory Analyzer provides two solutions to this problem:

- using the /syncuser command-line option the audit process can be delayed until the login script has finished and when the user ID can be reliably obtained.

- using the /userid option the user ID can be passed from the login script to the Inventory Analyzer.

If you are running Windows 95/98 machines we recommend using KiXtart for the domain login scripts. Using KiXtart you can pass the logon user ID to ina32 through the /userid option:

Example of KiX login script

SETCONSOLE(\"HIDE\")
USE N: \"\\AuditServerAudit\"
SHELL \"N:ina32.exe /userid=@USERID /user=@FULLNAME\"
USE N: /DELETE

Note: the /user option will allow to supply the full user name using the account information from the Active Directory.

Note for Novell users:

If you are running Novell network, the user ID can be passed from the login script with the following syntax:

N:ina32.exe /userid=\"%LOGIN_NAME\"
Support Team

Postby hizack on Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:48 am

Yeah, but all the pc have Windows Xp/2000 not Windows 9x.
hizack

Postby Support Team on Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:28 am

Please e-mail the .adt file from a machine where the user name has not been detected to support@alloy-software.com
Support Team

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4