Auditing Ghosted PC'S

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Auditing Ghosted PC'S

Postby Clayz85 on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:06 pm

I have a ghost image that I use for my HP 5150's. but when I run the Audit on the new PC's I get the same PC name as the original image. Is there a file or registry setting to change or delete.
Clayz85

Postby moroz on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:43 am

This behavior is explained in details in the product documentation. Please refer to the Automated Asset Inventory Guide manual (Getting Started Guide), section 'Understanding PC Cloning Software Issue'.
moroz
Alloy Software

Audited PCs and Ghost

Postby JWGasner on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:49 am

The first time you audit a PC the audit creates an ina32.ini file. This is a hidden system file that normally resides in c:windows, c:, or c:winnt. To fix this you can go through and delete these files from all your PCs, but most importantly you will need to remove the ina32.ini file from your ghost images. Once this is done you will be able to run the audits and each machine will be unique. I've done this a couple of different ways, one is to run a vbscript during logon that based on the date of the ina32.ini file it deletes it prior to having alloy run its audit. In this manner you can get a handle around which machines you've done and still keep your audits running. Of course this all depends on the size of your environment.

I just got tired of seeing this with the "look in the book" answer.
JWGasner
Junior

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4