DO I NEED A PORT OPENED ?

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

DO I NEED A PORT OPENED ?

Postby hasaanbhutta on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:15 pm

hi all,
we recently upgraded our machines from win2k to win xp pro. the inventory analyzer is in the startup folder of each machine, but none of them are getting updated in our system. all are showing up as Win2k machines.

my question is, do we need to open a port in Win XP SP2 firewall to allow communication between the database and the machine itself.
hasaanbhutta
Junior

Windows XP Pro, SP2

Postby KurtHarvilak on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:11 pm

See my post here ( http://www.alloy-software.com/forum/vie ... p?tid=2887 ) with some info about the issues running On-Demand scan with Windows XP Pro SP2, with the Windows Firewall turned on. RPC is used for the communication between the client and server. Unfortunately, it is not the main RPC port 135 that does the talking, it is the random RPC port above 1024 that does. I can't find a way to open a range of ports (and this is not even a suggested practice according to Microsoft) in Windows Firewall to allow the communication to take place regardless of which random RPC port is used.
Also, what kind of a scan schedule did you set when you ran the deployment wizard? I believe if you have a scan schedule set for, say, once a month, and the PC initiates a scan again before that month time limit is up, it will skip the scan. Perhaps a temp file is placed on the client with a time/date stamp that "ina32.exe"looks for to see if it is time to update the scan.
KurtHarvilak
Junior

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4