Two computers have the same Audit_ID

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Two computers have the same Audit_ID

Postby DarthW on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:10 am

We have two computers that have gotten the same Audit_ID. Every time a scan is run again, one or the other computer will get inventoried, but not both. How can I force the Audit_ID to change?

I've read that all one needs to do to correct this is delete the ina32.ini file from problem computers. However, I have done searches, including hidden files, on these PCs and find no such file locally.
DarthW
Junior

Resolved

Postby DarthW on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:23 pm

Ahah. Figured it out. The ini was not only hidden it is a system file, so the view in Windows would not show System files
DarthW
Junior

Possible cause?

Postby rcocua on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Originally posted by DarthW
Ahah. Figured it out. The ini was not only hidden it is a system file, so the view in Windows would not show System files

So how can 5 different pcs on my network end up with the same ID in the ina32.ini file? They are on the same hardware platform, but then there's another model with 15 similar platforms that audit all ok. Possible causes?

This caused me a lot of trouble, please expand on this.
rcocua

Postby moroz on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:03 pm

When the Inventory Analyzer audits a computer for the first time, an ina32.ini file is created. This file is usually located in C:Windows (or C:WINNT depending on the OS you’re running) or C:ina32, and contains system and hidden attributes. This file contains some information specific to each PC, such as ID, manually entered Asset Tag and other custom-input data. Copying ina32.ini file from one computer to another will make the machine non unique and result audit loading errors.

If you make an image of a previously audited machine for cloning, please delete the unique32.ini file from the image; otherwise, each machine you create from the image can have the same ID and Asset Tag. A new ini32.ini will be generated during the next audit with the correct, PC-specific ID and Asset Tag.
moroz
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4