How do I disable audits on VPN clients?

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

How do I disable audits on VPN clients?

Postby sadasupport on Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:52 pm

I have remote users which use Windows VPN Server to connect to the office. These computers are not to be supported, therefore I do not want or need them inventoried.

Two type of VPN users:
1) Workgroup user who manually connect to VPN - the audit tool does NOT run on these machines as I would like.

2) domain users who's PCs are registered on my domain, however I don't want the audit script to run for these users.

I have created an OU in AD for local and VPN computers and have setup the group policy to reflect accordngly, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any recomendations?
sadasupport

Postby mhull on Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm

If you are currently automating the audit via group policy login scripting, then setting different policies for different OU's is the suggested solution. If it is not working, you should review your group policy settings. There are no settings in our product which would cause a computer to be audited if group policy indicates otherwise.
mhull

Postby aszbikowski on Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:28 pm

You could exclude clients by machine name in your vbs script as well. Quick example:

Dim oShell, sCompName
' Take different actions depending on computer name.
'
' First get the computer's name. Use the UCase function to make sure everything is uppercase.
sCompName = UCase(oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%COMPUTERNAME%"))

Select Case sCompName
Case "HOST1"
WScript.Quit
Case "HOST2"
' Do something
Case else
' Do Something Else
End Select

The key here is getting the host computers machine name. Once you have that, you can implement the exclusions however you want.
aszbikowski
Junior

Postby mhull on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:50 pm

You can also exclude by computer name via Deployment Wizard settings.
mhull

Postby basullivan on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:56 pm

I think that excluding the subnet that your VPN uses would work as well
basullivan

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4