User Defined Fields

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

User Defined Fields

Postby ebearman on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:43 pm

I have setup two deployment locations (i.e. two slightly different ina32.cfg files).

One is the normal inventory that runs at logon - silent, no user input.

The second is for use by hardware techs for when a device is moved or peripheral added. This inventory runs in interactive mode, and requires some information to be entered (display make, serial, location, etc.)

When the tech runs their inventory and enters the info, it shows up in Network Inventory. However, when the scheduled inventory takes place later on, the custom fields' data are wiped out.

Both deployments are configured to upload audit files to the same location. Really they are mostly identical.

Can you explain what I am doing wrong, and/or how I can accomplish this goal in a different way?

The custom data does not need to be updated regularly - just when a tech changes something. And I don't want the users to have to do anything.

TIA
ebearman
Junior

Postby mhull on Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:18 am

Probably there is a difference in custom field definitions between your two deployments. I'd suggest copying the Interactive Mode ina32.cfg to your Silent deployment location. Then edit it , changing ModeInteractive to 0 and ModeSilent to 1. That way, both deployments will be identical in every respect, except with different audit modes.
mhull

Postby ebearman on Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:52 pm

I will try that - however, I additional question comes up:

The other differences in the two ina32.cfg files are:

InventorySchedule=Weekly (silent)
(it is set to 0 for the tech's interactive scan)

Also the ConfigID is different on the two ina32.cfg files. Should they be the same?

Thanks
ebearman
Junior

Postby mhull on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:38 am

Don't worry about ConfigID, it does not need to be unique.

If there are other settings you wish to be different between ina32.cfg files, then you should change them as well when editing.
mhull

Postby ebearman on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:27 pm

I have now created two ina32.cfg that are identical except for the modeinteractive, modesilent, and showprogress entries.

However, when I manually enter some information with the interactive scan - it appears in the inventory viewer until a (different) user logs in normally and creates a regular silent inventory which doesn't give them the ability to enter the manual information. The weird thing is that it appears to happen only when a user OTHER than the one that ran the manual scan logs in.

Also, for one computer - mine - which is the one that has Network Inventory Analyzer installed on it, this problem does not occur. The manually entered data has always been there. Maybe it's because I always login with the same credentials on my machine, whereas the other machines have people sharing them.

What to do?

Also, I saw a thread about someone who is able to collect display serial numbers automatically through the regular inventory? What is required for the scanner to be able to detect display serial numbers and/or display manufacturer and model?
ebearman
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:28 pm

A copy of the manually entered data is stored in the local ina32.ini file for reference during future audit runs. It sounds like some of your users don't have rights to the file, meaning that when they run the audit ina32.exe will not be able to access the manual data that was previously entered.
mhull

Postby ebearman on Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:06 pm

I can't find the ina32.ini file on any of the machines. Where is it supposed to reside?

Even after running an interactive scan and entering in some manual fields, I cannot find the ina32.ini file (search on C: including hidden and system files.)

However, it does know the values when the inventory scan is run a second time - it is only when the non-interactive scan is run that it drops them.

???

Should I contact tech support more *officially* about this? Or would I just be speaking with you anyway :-)
ebearman
Junior

Postby mhull on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:44 pm

Emailing support is probably a good idea. It seems something specific to your environment is causing the issue, so we're going to need to get some details from you. Email support@alloy-software.com with a reference to forum ID 3033.
mhull

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4