XP Pro Service Pack 2

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

XP Pro Service Pack 2

Postby wherndon on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:56 am

I am testing a box with XP Pro SP 2.
The on demand audit failed with the error "The RPC Server is not available"
Near as I can tell, all of the settings are correct.
Anyone else tried it with SP 2?
Any ideas?
wherndon

Postby BenCorr on Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:22 pm

SP2 automatically turns on the XP firewall, which denies access to the RPC. Could this be the problem?
BenCorr

Postby mhull on Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:00 pm

Yes, a firewall could definitely block remote audit. You'll need to enable port 135 through the firewall. In addition, you'll need to configure a set DCOM port range and allow it too. Refer here for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... rewall.asp
mhull

DCOM and RPC

Postby KurtHarvilak on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:57 pm

Fighting with this one myself... the only problem is the built-in Windows Firewall does NOT allow you to create exceptions for a range, only a single port number. Looking over a lot of stuff on Microsoft's website about limiting RPC to specific ports, but it is not suggested to limit to only a few, as applications may not run if there are no available RPC ports at the time it runs. We use a network management utility at my work called Hyena which is quite nice, but we have to set exceptions in Windows Firewall for "File and Print Sharing" as well as creating an RPC exception for port 135. I have been limited to using Hyena to remotely stop the Windows Firewall on the client, running an On-Demand scan, then turning the firewall back on. Will keep researching this one.
KurtHarvilak
Junior

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4