Weird network adapter recognition

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Weird network adapter recognition

Postby Bossman on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:13 am

Hello to all the users on this forum and to the Alloy Support Team. I recently downloaded the trial version of Alloy Network Inventory, version 4.2.0, and i hit a little "snag".

I used ANI on 20 PC's that are part of my high school's IT laboratory. Everything went fine with the auditing, until i noticed that some network adapters were detected incorrectly. For instance, on some PC's, a Realtek 8139 Fast Ethernet PCI NIC was detected as an NDIS 5.0 Driver. Same goes for the 3COM EtherLink III ISA Adapters, which were detected as ELNK3 Adapters. There were also a number of Realtek cards that were detected as Novell2000 Compatible.

The Funny thing is that on some machines, these cards (Realtek 8139 & 3Com FastLink ISA) were detected correctly.

All the PC's in the laboratory have Win 98 SE with the unofficial Service Pack v1.5 installed.

So my question is this: why on some machines the network adapters are detected correctly, while on others they are detected as NDIS5.0/Novell 2000/ELNK3 adapters?

Of course, i can solve the problem by exporting all the audit data in .html files and manually change the name of the adapters, but this can take some time.

So, any ideas?

Later edit: the Inventory Analizer version is 4.3.1 and the Network Deployment Wizard version is 4.2.0, so i'm up to date as far as the software goes ...
Bossman
Junior

Postby mhull on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:27 am

Please send one of the problem .adt files to support@alloy-software.com with a reference to forum ID 2879.

Note that NDISWAN is a virtual network device present on many machines (and 'Novell 2000 Compatible' may be the same.) So probably the NDISWAN is detected as well as the Realtek card, not instead of it. As for ELNK3, this is just the manufacturer's abbreviation for EtherLiNK III.
mhull

Postby Bossman on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:34 am

Hmm, is that's the case, is there any way i can uninstall the NDIS WAN driver so that ANI can detect the NICs correctly?

Like i said, the thing that intrigued me was the fact that on some machines, the Realtek cards were detected correctly.
Bossman
Junior

Postby mhull on Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:24 am

As mentioned above, you should send a sample .adt file to support@alloy-software.com for further assistance. We can't provide any further assistance without it.
mhull

Postby Support Team on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:30 am

The optimal way of troubleshooting any hardware detection issue is running the debug log submission tool at www.alloy-software.com/support/ina32.html in Internet Explorer - this way we can see the .adt file AND the debug log from the problem machine.
Support Team

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4