On-Demand Auditing-help needed

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

On-Demand Auditing-help needed

Postby redwing on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:04 pm

I'm having a little bit of difficulty getting On-Demand auditing working.

I've followed the steps in the help file. Added the Audit share to the nullshares list on the server.

I think I've done everything correctly on the client machine I'm trying this out on. Just to be clear though, I'll step through what I've done to it.

It's a WinXP Pro box (the server is Win2K3, and it's a domain based network, and we'll call the domain ABC for now), and I went to control panel --> User Accounts and clicked the "Add" button. I then added a user called "audit" from the ABC domain. I made this user an administrator.

On my Win2K3 server, I created an "audit" user with "audit" for the password, and put that user in the "Domain Admins" group.

I then followed the instructions in the help for configuring WMI on the client machine. Those steps are straightforward, and I won't detail them here.

So when I try to initiate an On-Demand audit, I get the following errors:

When I try from my machine (not the server):
"Failed: Error connecting to remote computer. (Access is denied)"

When I try from the Win2k3 server:
"Failed: Error starting audit. WMI replied:"Access denied".Make sure that the deployment share is included in the NullSessionShares list."

The deployment share IS in the NullSessionShares list, I used the addnullshare.exe tool to add it, and verified this in the registry.

I found the Tools--> Options portion of the product, with the on-Demand Audit tab. I put in my "audit" user and "audit" password and still have no luck, either with "Local Administrator" or "Domain Administrator" selected as the Account Type.

What am I missing here. I really want this to work. On-demand auditing was one of the biggest selling points for me to purchase the product.
redwing
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:18 am

On which machine did you add the null session share to the registry?
mhull

Postby redwing on Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:47 am

On the Win2k3 Server, where the product is deployed. Do I need to add this on each client machine that I want to performa an on-demand audit for?
redwing
Junior

Postby mhull on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:06 am

No, you need to add it on the machine that ina32.exe is on.
mhull

Postby redwing on Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Well, it's there on my server. Any other thoughts/ideas?
redwing
Junior

Postby mhull on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:03 pm

Which machine is ina32 on, the 2003 or XP?
mhull

Postby redwing on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:34 pm

ina32.exe is on the Win2k2003 server
redwing
Junior

Postby mhull on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Try moving the deployment to a 2000 server or XP for testing. There may be some issue with 2003 security settings and on-demand audit which we have not reproduced yet.
mhull

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4