Suggestion

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Suggestion

Postby sikserb on Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi, first to say, this is a great utility ... I\'m still testing the personal edition and so far its excellent. I came across a few minor glitches but overall its much better than any other asset tracking software that i\'ve tested b4. I\'ve already recomended this software to some friends of mine, that have influence on decision making in other companies and they are looking to implement it as well.
I\'ve already setup the conf file to my needs but there is only one option for now that i would like to see in this software b4 I get my manager to pay for professional edition.
This is an option for manually adding the Asset Tag. This field could be fully optional and maybe something similiar as the Computer Name in Network Identification in Win NT. If that option was in place i would have no problems convincing my managers to pay for it. If you could let me know if this option is something that we could c in the next version or any time soon.

Once again, great work.
sikserb

Postby kzip on Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:48 am

First off, I\'m not a member of the support team ;) But I think the command line switch /entertag will prompt for an asset tag number.

Paul.
kzip
Junior

Postby sikserb on Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:08 am

Thanx, but that doesnt work for me.
This way
1) i would have to go to the each PC and run ina32 manualy or
2) if put in the logon script, get users to enter the tag name each time ina32 runs.
This is not an option because
1) there are around 200 PC\'s that i would need to visit personaly and
2) users are not reliable.
Most of the PC support BIOS Asset Tag and with them i have no problems as it reports all the asset tags after i run ina32.exe. The problem i have is with some of the PC\'s that dont support bios asset tagging and some laptops conected to docking stations. For them i would have to do this manualy and it would have to be held in a separate file as it would be overwritten in the original file when i run the ina32 later on.
The /entertag option works, but it doesnt store the asset tag, so the asset tag has to be put in everytime you run the ina32.

i hope thats makes sense to someone, as its been a really long day.
sikserb

Postby sikserb on Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:30 am

I just remembered another thing, the bios asset number and the asset number assigned using /entertag are written in 2 different fileds in the .adt file. The BIOS one is in \"SystemEnclosure - SMBIOSAssetTag\" and the /entertag is in \"Info - Asset_Tag\". So when you go back to the computer list you will need 2 fields just for asset tags. Not a perfect solution.
sikserb

Postby Support Team on Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:00 am

This will be impoved in the upcoming new release.
ina32.exe will include a slew of new command-line options, and using one of them you will be able to instruct ina32.exe to apply a certain logic to the process automatic detection of asset tags. For example, ina32.exe could be configured to do the following:

take the BIOS asset tag
if it is empty then take BIOS serial number
if is is still empty then take computer name
and use this value as Asset Tag.
Support Team

Postby sikserb on Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:54 am

This still doesn\'t solve my problem.
With the solution above you are very limited if you want to have specific asset tags across the organisation e.g. if you were to put asset tags from 0001 - 2000
It would be good if you could manualy edit or add the asset tag in the format you want and maybe for the asset tag to be associated with the computer name in another file. So next time when you run ina32, if the asset tag is missing, it can look into that file and assign the asset tag associted with the computer name.
sikserb

Postby lifegard2 on Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:20 pm

I agree. In addition to the new options, it would be very helpful to have an option to manually enter the asset tag. While doing it manually still requires you to do data entry, at least at can be done from a central location rather than visiting each machine to enable the BIOS asset tag.
lifegard2
Senior

Postby Support Team on Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:28 pm

The new options will allow to specify an asset tag from the command line using the
/assettag=<whatewever> option.

By the way, with the new options you won\'t necesserely need to visit each computer to enable the BIOS asset tag. If you are running ina32.exe from the domain login script then you will be able to include the following option:
/autotag=AT,SN,CN - this defines the order in which ina32.exe will try to identify the asset tag automatically (fist BIOS asset tag, then Serial Number, then if nothing works - the computer name).

We have to admit, the idea of taking asset tags from a pool or range of pre-defined IDs is pretty good and we will consider it for implementation.
Support Team

Postby VCS on Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:06 am

We\'ve got the same problem here. We\'d like to enter in a custom field for each PC that tells us what physical desk that PC is located at. We can\'t rely on the user to do this.

I\'m not sure how a command-line switch will solve this problem when running ina32.exe from a login script, unless you edit each user\'s login script with the asset tag. In our case, we have ina32.exe called from a central script that is run for all users upon login.
VCS
Junior

Postby VCS on Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:24 am

I just had another thought on this...

If you use the asset tag command line switch in a login script, won\'t that asset tag follow the user, instead of staying with the machine? We have several users who login to various machines, so this still would not help us to determine where the physical machine is placed in the building.
VCS
Junior

Postby Support Team on Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:28 pm

Reasonably, the asset tag must follow the computer,
but it would depend on how the login script is implemented and whether the value for the asset tag option is provided based on the computer where the login request comes from, not on the user ID.
Support Team

Postby sikserb on Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:55 am

I think that we have forgoten what the asset tag is used for. Asset tag is something that even when you change all the possible variables (user, location, computer name etc.) the asset tag doesn\'t change. That is the whole point of having it stored in BIOS, where its reasonbly safe unless u reset the motherboard (and how often does that happen?)
So, the point is that the asset tag is the only constant of any hardware piece and you can track the harware and its adventures and changes.
So, back to the previous comments, it would not be an option to assign asset tags thru the logon script as it is something that has to be n stay constant.
As for the desk location, well maybe thats just another field that should be optional with the possibility to manualy manipulate tha data.
sikserb

Postby Support Team on Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:08 am

Thank you, you have definitely nailed it!

We just would like to make a note, that the ability to assign asset tag from the command line may be needed if the system BIOS does not support asset tags, and the only place to store it is in the configuration file that ina32.exe keeps on every workstation. The drawback of this approach is that if you re-format the hard drive and re-install the OS, the file will be gone, and so the saved asset tag.
Support Team

Postby sikserb on Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:53 pm

well ... even that is better than nothing. another idea, is putting a file in the shared directory with the audit data. this file could contain a database of the PC\'s with corresponding asset tags. so when NIN loads the .adt files it could also extract the asset tags from this file and put them with the corresponding PC\'s in NIN.
sikserb

Postby Support Team on Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:58 pm

That is a good suggestion, we will consider it.
Thank you!
Support Team

Postby slotzkar on Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:49 am

What will happen to the rest of us that want to input our own asset number? We have asset tags that are on each PC and when I enter them, a new file is generated at the next scan.

While you now pull the service tag out of Dell\'s BIOS for the asset field, this is not always used for the asset tag. I also know that Dell supports the BIOS asset input but we do not deem it necessary to update the BIOS to input these numbers.

Will there be a switch to pull nothing for the asset field?
slotzkar

Postby Support Team on Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:25 am

That kind of switch is already in version 3.0.1
Have you downloaded the beta version yet?
Support Team

3.0.1? NI or AN?

Postby lifegard2 on Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:04 am

Is the 3.0.1 beta for NI or AN? I only see NI on the website with that version number.

It would still be helpful to be able to input our own asset tag info for PCs in AN without having to write a custom login script for each single PC. Hardly any of my machines support the BIOS asset ID. All of the machines are also very recent.:D
lifegard2
Senior

Postby sikserb on Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:14 pm

For the most of the recent PC\'s you can download utilities that fit on to a floppy and use them to enter custom asset tags without the neet to upgrade BIOS.
sikserb

Postby Support Team on Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:53 pm

Could you post a name of such utilities?
We aware that there are utilities from Dell, but they are compatible only with Dell computers.
Support Team

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4