How does it know to audit.

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

How does it know to audit.

Postby kev on Wed May 08, 2002 2:13 pm

Scenerio,
We have a database currently running 2.61 we have 180 machines and building. I deployed using \"silent\" mode, which means that the computer name is deemed the asset tag. We are in the process of going to a 2000 domain and will be renaming the systems in the future.
If I set the deployment to once a month, how does the ina32 determine this system need to be audited and if I change a computer name then I get a new system.
I guess my question is, does the auditor look at a file on the local machine and use that to determine? And if so, then it must also look at the machine name.
The way I have been catching them is to add the MAC address and then looking for any that show 2 ea.

thoughts?

Kevin
kev
Senior

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 12:09 am

You have guessed correctly, the date of the last audit is stored in a local file on every computer. If you re-format the harddrive and audit the same machine again, the settings file would be lost and ina32.exe will generate another audit ID.

This scenario causes duplicate entries for the same machine. We are going to improve that in the next release - when importing .adit files Asset Navigator will be checking computer name, MAC address and BIOS serial number to spot duplicates.
Support Team

Postby lillian on Thu May 09, 2002 10:34 am

So.... which field will be used as the unique key, computer name (or asset tag), MAC or BIOS serial no. ?
lillian

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 1:00 pm

We are planning to use the BIOS asset tag as the primary identifier, if it is not available, then BIOS serial number. If BIOS serial number is also blank, then MAC address and computer name.
Support Team

Postby check on Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:31 pm

Is there any estimate as to when this new verision that will include the BIOS and MAC functionality will be released ?
check

Postby Support Team on Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:06 pm

This funcitonality is included in version 3.0.1, which is currently in the beta cycle.
The official release is scheduled for 08/15.
Support Team

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4