Reporting Issues

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Reporting Issues

Postby ronzilla on Wed May 08, 2002 9:58 am

I can see a list of operating systems on each computer in the Computer List. And in the software list, I can see the software installed on each computer. What I need is to see a list of Windows 98 computers with a certain program installed. For example, which computers running Windows 98 also have Microsoft Office installed.

What is the best way to get this information?

Ronzilla
ronzilla
Junior

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 12:14 am

The best way is to group the list of installed products by product name. Then scroll down to the node with Windows 98 and expand it - subitems will list all computers where Windows 98 is installed.

HINT: The above method can be used to identify all computers where any particular product is installed, not just Windows 98 :D
Support Team

That's not it...

Postby ronzilla on Thu May 09, 2002 9:59 am

I\'ve got that much. I can see what computers (for example) have Windows 98 installed. And I can see what computers have MS Office installed. I need to see only instances where MS Office is installed on a Windows 98 computer.

Ron
ronzilla
Junior

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 1:53 pm

Well, this would not be possible to achieve in the curent version of Asset Navigator.

As a temporary solution you can create such a report in MS Access using a query that looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCT s1.Computer_Name
FROM SoftwareInstallationList AS s1, SoftwareInstallationList AS s2
WHERE
s1.Computer_Name=s2.Computer_Name
AND
s1.Software=\"Microsoft Windows 98 SE\"
AND
s2.Software LIKE \"*Microsoft Office*\";

Please just make sure you are not creating the report in the production database. Insted, create a new .mdb file and LINK it to the production database.
Support Team

Postby ronzilla on Thu May 09, 2002 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Support Team
Well, this would not be possible to achieve in the curent version of Asset Navigator.

This is NIN, not asset navigator. Was that a typo or are we totally missing each other here?

Ron
ronzilla
Junior

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 2:36 pm

You are correct, we have been talking about different products.
Sorry for the confusion.

The only way to do that in Network Inventory Navigator is to export theinstallation data in CSV format, load it to a database and then apply SQL query to filter and group it as needed.
Support Team

Postby ronzilla on Thu May 09, 2002 2:39 pm

hmmm....sounds like a good idea for a feature to me.

While we\'re on the topic of exporting data, where do you go to export the \"devices\" data (like the video card, NIC info, etc.)?

Ron
ronzilla
Junior

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 2:49 pm

Yes, this definitely sound like a good idea for a new feature.

Network Inventory Navigator does not provide export capabilities for device data.
However, you may use the Web Publishing wizard to create HTML pages with all information.

Also, most of inventory data can be added to the computer list gird, and then exported from there. Using this method, however, you will not be able to export array-like data (devices list, printer list, drive list, etc). But such things as NIC, Video adapter, Monitor are relatively easy to add.

Please list all specific items that you are trying to export and we will provide you with specific instructions.
Support Team

Postby ronzilla on Thu May 09, 2002 3:06 pm

The part about exporting data like video drivers or NIC drivers was hypothetical. The boss wants a recommendation on inventory software pretty quick, so I\'ve got to predict various ways we can use the software to help justify purchase.

I was thinking that if a hardware manufacturer issued an updated driver because of stability issues, we could know right away which users needed the update.....that gives the department the proactive image we\'re striving for.

And yes, if you could give brief instructions on adding an item to the computer list grid, that would be very helpful. I don\'t see a way to add fields there other than the basic fields like cpu type, speed, computer name, user name, ram, etc.

Also, are future software upgrades included in the cost of the licensing?

Ron
ronzilla
Junior

Adding new fields to computer list

Postby Support Team on Thu May 09, 2002 10:06 pm

In order to add a new field to the computer list you should edit the
template.adt file:

C:Program FilesA-Navigator.comNetwork Inventorysysdatatemplate.adt

1. Increment the count field in the Columns section:

[Columns]
Count=14

2. Add a new column definition at the end of the file. As an example we are going to add the video card field:

[Column13]
Caption=\"Video Card\"
Section=Display
Key=Adapter

Using this method you can populate ANY field from the audit snapshot into the
computer list.

Now you just need to start the application, right click on the computer list and invoke the Select Fields dialog. Using this dialog add the new field from the list of available fields to the list of displayed field. Close the dialog.

If you purchase our product you will be entitled to one year of free upgrades. Additional upgrade subscription can be purchased with the product or at a later time.
Support Team

Postby ronzilla on Fri May 10, 2002 9:27 am

That seems simple enough. Do you have documentation on the \"Section\" and \"Key\" for the other fields gathered in the audit?

Ron
ronzilla
Junior

Postby lillian on Fri May 10, 2002 10:58 am

It would be much appreciated if the Help pages also include the instruction on how to add new fields to the computer list.

You know...it took me so much time few days ago to go through the NIN registry and still couldn\'t figure out how to do this. :(
lillian

Postby perryny on Tue May 14, 2002 6:35 pm

This is just the info that I\'ve been looking for. I do however need the list of \"Key\" and \"Section\" values to get it working.

Great product.
perryny

Postby Support Team on Thu May 16, 2002 12:34 am

This is very simple - use any text editor (Notepad) to open an existing snapshot file. You will see that snapshot files use the standard windows INI files format. All data is grouped into \"sections\" and values are identified with \"Keys\".
So, you just need to select the correct section/key combination to pull the required value.
Support Team

Postby basullivan on Wed May 29, 2002 11:45 am

Another great feature is the export to Excel. From there you can create \"Pivot Tables\" and filter and sort all of you data. Its great and can give you all that you need.
basullivan

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4