microsoft office & os product key

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

microsoft office & os product key

Postby shallow on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:51 pm

I have a feeling your software is not able to get the product key that was added to the computer from office xp or windows xp?

If this cant be done can you some how edit asset navigator 4 so we can manually add the product key for later use.

Before we send a computer out to our users we run asset navigator on it. It would be nice if your product could give us the product key of xp and office xp. But if it can’t, we would like to found a way after the asset has been run to manually add it on our side. Is it possible?

If so how please?
shallow

Postby shallow on Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:43 pm

no yes or no at all?
shallow

Postby mhull on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:39 pm

Some versions of windows and office simply do not list a product key in the registry (they list a product ID instead, which is a hash of the product key) so detecting them would not be possible.

You can add the product key to a software license record. Just double-click one to open it for editing and you will find several places that could store a product key.
mhull

Postby jleonard on Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:21 pm

jleonard
Junior

Postby jleonard on Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:23 pm

btw...this would be a VERY VALUABLE feature to me.
jleonard
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:35 pm

It is certainly possible, if you are willing to reverse engineer Microsoft's product key hashing algorithm and take the legal risks associated with doing so.
mhull

Postby BenCorr on Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:48 am

I thought Asset Navigator displayed the WinXP product key? (CD key)

If it displays that then there are no legal problems with displaying the Office CD key or you violated it already.

Most other network audit software gets the Win2k/XP product keys and they don't seem to be in trouble.
BenCorr

Postby Support Team on Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:36 am

It displays only products keys that are stored in the registry in the clear form. The product key detected for Windows XP is not the one you were using to install the product off the CD. When Windows XP is installed, the product key gets encrypted and stored in a binary file. What actually stored in the registry is a hashed sub-product of that key, which Microsoft still can use to uniquely identify your license.
Support Team

Postby BenCorr on Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:44 pm

Really? I'm running it on W2K and Asset Navigator gets the CD Key just fine. I tried it in XP and it didn't work, of course.

I know it's encrypted in 512 bits in W2K and is here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionDigitalProductId

XP's Product Key is in the same place. Does it not use the same algorithm? Is W2K's Product Key stored as plain text somewhere else in the registry?

There is other commercial inventory software that gets this info both in W2K and XP.
BenCorr

Postby Support Team on Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:20 pm

Yes, in Win2K the product key is stored in the registry in the open, and it is encrypted in Win XP.

We can only guess whether the other product you mentioned reports the true product key for Windows XP despite the possible consequences of "reverse engineering" or they are simply located outside of USA where the laws or intellectual property don't necessarily apply.
Support Team

Postby BenCorr on Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:05 am

Well, I'll leave the other software unmentioned to prevent product wars, but they are in the U.S.

Is it against the law to decrypt this info for lawful usage? It can be very useful for network admins, as you've seen by the original post.

Could you tell me what location in the registry the Win2K product key is stored? I can't seem to find it.
BenCorr

Postby mhull on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:14 pm

For more information on issues of encryption and legality, please refer to the following links:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/dmca.pdf
http://www.google.com/search?q=dmca
mhull

Postby BenCorr on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:11 pm

Well it's not fair for so many of your competitors in other countries to be able add a feature to software that you can't, just because you're located in the USA.

Again, could you tell me what location in the registry the plain text Win2K product key is stored?
BenCorr

Postby Support Team on Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:31 am

Look under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion

PS: Actually, this kind of question is far beyond the "product support" scope.
Support Team

Postby BenCorr on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:35 am

Yes, I know, but I'm interested in the technical aspects of this stuff.

Do you mean here?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionDigitalProductId

Because that's encoded and there is also ProductId, both of which don't show up when I run Asset Navigator. I get the ACTUAL CD Key that was used when I installed Win2K. I can't find this in plain text in the registry at all, but you claim it's there. Where is it exactly?
BenCorr

Postby mhull on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Ben, we cannot offer definitive support for Microsoft products. We tried to answer your question even though it was outside of our support scope. The answer we gave will not apply to all Windows 2000 distributions, as you have seen. You'll need to research this further yourself or contact Microsoft for further assistance.
mhull

Postby BenCorr on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:04 am

I was just asking where Asset Navigator got its Product Key for Windows 2000, because Asset Nav. gets this info for me in Win2K and you say it's in plain text in Windows, but I can't find it where you said it was.

Thanks anyway.
BenCorr

Postby rmeden on Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:50 pm

Ouch.. I just came across the same problem..

I have a cabinet full of M$ Office CDs with product keys.
I have a databsae full of M$ Office install with serial numbers.
The serial number is not printed on the CDs.

If I need to rebuild a PC, there is no way to correlate the two so I can find the right install key.

Now we need to change our procedures to write down the serial numbers and product key on each install. This is the soft of manual accounting I wanted to avoid with an audit program.

I understand Alloy's position under the DMCA... this all just sucks for us customers!

I should havef tried harder to move my company to Open Office!

Robert
rmeden

Postby mhull on Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:55 pm

We've decided to add encrypted serial number detection, and it is enabled in the latest ina32.exe (run auto-update to receive it.)

Of course, there are still plenty of good reasons to switch to open office :)
mhull

Postby rmeden on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:11 pm

just to followup... I confirmed it works! Yea!!!

( still wish we went with OO though )

Robert
rmeden

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4