Feature Needed: Manual adding OR linux auditing tool...

Alloy Network Inventory is a comprehensive, budget-friendly, easy-to-deploy network inventory solution that provides you with accurate and up-to-date information from every computer on your network.

Feature Needed: Manual adding OR linux auditing tool...

Postby vernonhelp on Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:41 pm

Hi guys,

I\'ve been using the product for a week now and love it. I was previously maintaining an access database with *some* of the information that NIN is able to get quickly and frequently. BUT- unless I can have all of my PC\'s located in the database I can\'t use it to generate a valid inventory report. I don\'t think such an addition would be overstepping the bounds of AN.

Thanks!
vernonhelp

Postby Support Team on Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:11 am

You can export the computer list from NIN, and then import it in your database.
If this does not help, please clarify how you would like to see this feature implemented.
Support Team

Postby vernonhelp on Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:31 am

One of my goals is to NOT use my existing database any more and to rely on NIN for my computer inventory. So exporting/importing to my database is not what I was looking for.

What I am looking for is a way to get my linux machines added to the NIN database. I propose 2 ways.

1) A \"ina32\" that can run on linux. (I would slap it on a floppy, run it, then dump the data files back to my AuditData folder like I do with user\'s who have company PC\'s at home.

2) The ability to manually add a PC to the database. (I think this would be useful even if you created a linux version of \"ina32\")
vernonhelp

Postby Support Team on Wed May 08, 2002 1:53 am

We will consider a linux version of ina32.exe for a future release.

Please note that Network Inventory Navigator does not use a database to store computer information. All data is loaded dynamically from the snapshot files. So, really there is no place where you could \'add\' anything other than the .adt file, which is supposed to be generated automatically.
Support Team

Postby vernonhelp on Wed May 08, 2002 9:39 am

Of course this is up to you guys... but maybe you should look into converting NIN into a database. How about something like this... Snapshots are still made into .ADT\'s (this making it easy for me to use a floppy on standalone or remote machines) BUT- when NIN is launched it takes all those .ADT\'s and dumps them into a database which gives you and I tremendous flexability.

Matter of fact, now that it\'s on the mind... a database would be awesome! :o Let\'s say a user is using your \"Generate Webpage from Computer List\" feature... Any time a computer is added, updated, etc... they need to regenerate that page for it to be correct. Use a database, and easily an ASP page that never needs to be updated could be created that reads straight from the database each time someone loads the page!

I\'m sure there are many more ideas out there that could be implemented via a database, please consider!

-Jason
vernonhelp

Return to Alloy Network Inventory 4