Does Alloy Discovery allows MSI agents creation?

Alloy Discovery is a comprehensive network inventory solution for network administrators and IT service providers, advancing the Alloy Network Inventory product line with next generation technology.

Does Alloy Discovery allows MSI agents creation?

Postby borzoi on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:40 am

Hello everybody,
does Alloy Discovery allow creating client agents in MSI format, so that we can deploy using Active Directory GPO?
And, if so, does Alloy Discovery allow, in both 5 and 6 versions?
borzoi
Junior

Re: Does Alloy Discovery allows MSI agents creation?

Postby tccwrd on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm

I believe during the installation the packages are extracted to a folder. From there can you do what you want with them?
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Postby borzoi on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 am

tccwrd wrote:I believe during the installation the packages are extracted to a folder. From there can you do what you want with them?

Perhaps I wasn't able and explain :D
Alloy Discovery got a server component, and generates agents to deploy on clients to collect data.
YES, I know Alloy Discovery is agentless in an AD domain using domain admin credentials, but I don't know if SNMP has to be enabled on clients (administrative burden) and if extensiveness of collected data is equal to using deployed agents (Alloy support team, is there anybody out there? :D).
Since only way to easily deploy anything on all clients using GPOs is having an MSI installer to "assign" (.exe using "publishing" or scripting is unpracticable), question is relevant...
borzoi
Junior

Postby tccwrd on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Yup, I did misunderstand.

YES, I know Alloy Discovery is agentless in an AD domain using domain admin credentials, but I don't know if SNMP has to be enabled on clients (administrative burden) and if extensiveness of collected data is equal to using deployed agents.

What does SNMP have to do with auditing computers?

(Alloy support team, is there anybody out there? :D).

They rarely monitor the forums. You should contact them directly.

Since only way to easily deploy anything on all clients using GPOs is having an MSI installer to "assign" (.exe using "publishing" or scripting is unpracticable), question is relevant...

I still don't understand why you are unable to allow the application to do what it does.
Gary
tccwrd
Senior

Return to Alloy Discovery Express 5