mac workstation audit failure

Alloy Discovery is a comprehensive network inventory solution for network administrators and IT service providers, advancing the Alloy Network Inventory product line with next generation technology.

mac workstation audit failure

Postby kciteam on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm attempting to audit several mac workstations. They all have the same user account. When I run the 'audit now' command, some return an error:

Failed: Error connecting to host (Mac audit error on the step "pwd": Network error: Connection timed out)

Some work just fine, only some fail. Please advise.
kciteam
Junior

Re: mac workstation audit failure

Postby janstonselig on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 pm

kciteam wrote:Failed: Error connecting to host (Mac audit error on the step "pwd": Network error: Connection timed out)

I've never seen this error and I didn't find it in Alloy's kb, but that 'pwd' makes me think it's a password issue. I'd check the root password of that mac to make sure it matches what you have set in Discovery.
janstonselig
Senior

Postby kciteam on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:39 am

I have checked the password and retyped it in Discovery - still have the same error, but again only on some macs not all.
kciteam
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Just so happens I was reading the forum yesterday and saw this post. Then today I got an alert from the Support Portal about this new kb article being created - http://support.alloy-software.com/?mode ... d=KB001597

It suggests it's just a generic connection error relating to port 22 and SSH.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby kciteam on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm still encountering the same error. I have confirmed that remote access is enabled on the mac. As for the KB article, I'm only using their trial version to see if we want to purchase the software, so I apparently I cannot read it. Please advise.
kciteam
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:21 pm

kciteam wrote:I'm only using their trial version to see if we want to purchase the software, so I apparently I cannot read it.

Oh, ok. I'd test SSH on port 22 to make sure it's open/available.

I'd get a program like putty - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ to test SSH (I attached since I had it). See the user manual - http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/htmldoc/ if you need help with it. It's fairly simple though. Once you connect, if you can, it should give you a login prompt.

If you can't connect via putty then you won't be able to connect via Discovery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby kciteam on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am

I have successfully tested ssh on port 22 with putty. I use the same login credentials and am able to log in. Please advise next step to test.
kciteam
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:28 pm

honestly I don't know. I'm just going on the info alloy has in their article. I'd contact support personally. you said you're evaluating but I know they provided me with support during my evaluation. keep us posted on the solution.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby kciteam on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:23 pm

I have a case open with support, but have yet to hear back from them. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
kciteam
Junior

Postby kciteam on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm

In case anyone else has the same error:

Found the problems - one mac was trying to use the wireless connection to audit - once it was switched to the wired connection, everything ran fine.

The other mac had two NICs and was broadcasting a 169.254.x.x address in addition to it's 192.168.x.x address. Turned off the extra NIC and audit ran just fine.
kciteam
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:04 pm

kciteam wrote:Found the problems - one mac was trying to use the wireless connection to audit

Ahaa! good find
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Discovery Express 5