Agentless?

Alloy Discovery is a comprehensive network inventory solution for network administrators and IT service providers, advancing the Alloy Network Inventory product line with next generation technology.

Agentless?

Postby BenCorr on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi, I don't mean to sound unhappy with the product, because I do like it, but I've been wondering for a while how can it be called agentless when I clearly see an agent being ran? It does seem to remove the agent, but you can't really call it agentless, right? It mentions it being agentless on your home page and on other documentation.
BenCorr

Re: Agentless?

Postby moroz on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:36 pm

The agent less audit (also called the On-demand audit) is not available in the current version of Alloy Navigator 5 Enterprise and is planned for the next version. Do you have Alloy Navigator 5 Express? If yes, there is a dedicated section for AN5X in this forum.

Keep in mind this method (deliver the agent, run it and then remove) is common and used by other vendors and it is always presented to customers as the agent less audit. I think the main reason to call it this way is that you don't need to deliver the audit agent anywhere on your network.
moroz
Alloy Software

Postby BenCorr on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Sorry, I guess I meant to post this in the "Alloy Discovery" forum, since that's what I'm using. But I'm guessing Enterprise uses the same method?

So are you saying Alloy is adding true agentless in the next version? I don't really see need for it. Nothing is really agentless though. If you use remote WMI only, it's still using an the WMI agent, but supplied and installed by Microsoft.
BenCorr

Postby janstonselig on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm

BenCorr wrote:So are you saying Alloy is adding true agentless in the next version?

I think when they say agent-less they're really saying 'you don't need to fiddle with an agent'. Discovery makes it seem like there isn't an agent which is the 'affect' they're going for. It's probably more of a usable description than a technical one.

As for Alloy Navigator, version 5 only has the Discovery version of 'scriptable', but in version 6, as per Alloy's last newsletter, it will have the same functionality as Discovery.
janstonselig
Senior

Postby BenCorr on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:52 pm

That make sense I guess. I don't understand though, does Discovery do things in a way that the current Navigator doesn't? I only use Discovery at the moment. Is there a screenshot of this version 6 someswhere? :)
BenCorr

Postby eliaslynch on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 am

BenCorr wrote:...does Discovery do things in a way that the current Navigator doesn't?

Yup and vice versa. Discovery has more auditing methods than Nav 5, but Nav 5 has much more functionality overall since it does more than asset stuff. I was told the functionality in version 6 will be aligned more closely to what's available in Discovery.

BenCorr wrote:Is there a screenshot of this version 6 someswhere? :)

Yeah right? I'm waiting to see it myself hehe. It's due out sometime this year so information should be coming.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby dennisking on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:15 am

BenCorr wrote:That make sense I guess. I don't understand though, does Discovery do things in a way that the current Navigator doesn't? I only use Discovery at the moment. Is there a screenshot of this version 6 someswhere? :)

I originally checked out Navigator and found it's really robust, but we simply didn't need it all so we went with Express since it's more for smaller companies like mine. I don't think Navigator has the on-demand feature. Discovery does.
dennisking
Junior

Postby jimmcnicholas on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

How do I remove the agent, it is installing on my servers and it is blocking the commvault back ups.
jimmcnicholas

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:29 am

dennisking wrote:I don't think Navigator has the on-demand feature. Discovery does.

v5 of navigator doesn't, but v6 of navigator comes with v6 of discovery so it has the on-demand feature.

jimmcnicholas wrote:How do I remove the agent, it is installing on my servers and it is blocking the commvault back ups.

that sounds unlikely based on what I know about it. are you 100% sure that's the case?
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Discovery Express 5