Page 1 of 1

Best Practice for Auditing machines and making sure they are

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:15 pm
by abrezina
What would be the best way to make sure all of the computers on your network are being audited by Asset Navigator? I have been noticing certain machines suddenly stop updating. Also, I am finding a few machines that were setup to audit, and have the proper files in an ina32 directory with the proper permissions, that just do not update.

I would really just like to do is start over. I was thinking deleting all of the ina32.ini files in the login script and then creating a new ina32.ini file on every PC. Any other ideas or suggestions about how to go about doing this would be great. I want to avoid touching the client PC's if possible.

Once I do the rebuild of the database though, I am still unsure how to make sure all of my computers are there. Any ideas about how to go about fixing this are welcome as well.

Also, would an upgrade to Alloy Navigator 5.2 help out at all? Right now we are using the latest version of Asset Navigator 4.5.3.

Re: Best Practice for Auditing machines and making sure they

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:15 pm
by pille
abrezina wrote:What would be the best way to make sure all of the computers on your network are being audited by Asset Navigator?


The recommended way to audit computers is through the login script. You can simply place the path to the ina32.exe in the login script and end users will run it at login. This will ensure that all computers run it at login. However, ensuring that all computers are in your system may be a bit difficult unless you know the exact number of systems you have out there.

abrezina wrote:Also, I am finding a few machines that were setup to audit, and have the proper files in an ina32 directory with the proper permissions, that just do not update.


If they don't update, you can run ina32.exe /force /debug. Force bypasses the schedule and debug will create a debug_machinename.log file in the log folder of your audit share. That will help you find why it's not running on a specific machine.

abrezina wrote:I would really just like to do is start over. I was thinking deleting all of the ina32.ini files in the login script and then creating a new ina32.ini file on every PC.


It's simple enough to delete all the ina32.ini files from the client machines via the login script. They will be recreated once the ina32.exe runs again. However, there may not be a reason for doing it. Typically the only reason for deleting the ini files is when there are duplicates. These need to be unique.

Starting over depends on the level of starting over you mean. Deleting computers vs creating a new database, etc.

abrezina wrote:Also, would an upgrade to Alloy Navigator 5.2 help out at all? Right now we are using the latest version of Asset Navigator 4.5.3.


5.2 is a far superior product. There's no question. I would request an evaluation of it to see for yourself. You can do an upgrade of your database to test without bothering your production system and support is available to help you via phone if needed.