Work Around for PC's not being used?

Open discussion about the Asset Navigator Inventory

Work Around for PC's not being used?

Postby condabas on Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:02 pm

Is there any way to have the hardware listed in AN still after an audit but remove all software related to that machine? I would like to have machines that are in inventory to be listed but not hitting against my license counts since that software is no longer in use.
condabas
Senior

Postby condabas on Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:23 pm

Nevermind, just by removing the software for the machines profile, I get what I want.
condabas
Senior

Postby mhull on Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:53 pm

One effective method for accomplishing this is to mark the software records you are not interested in (using the Software Category or Reportable fields for instance) and then using filtering to eliminate them from view.
mhull

Postby condabas on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:38 pm

I am just wanting to get rid of the license assigned to the machine in the software records but still have it in AN for the hardware tracking. It will take up a node license, but it will show the hardware parts (i.e. Compaq SN, vid card, sound card, etc) but have no software associated with it to hit my license counts.

Example: I have a machine that has come back in that was replaced with an upgrade. I put it up on the shelf, when I use it again, I will format and start new.

In AN, I remove the software associated with that machine (since its not being used anymore) so I just have the hardware listed.

I think I just stated the question wrong.
condabas
Senior

Postby mhull on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:57 pm

You are right, my suggestion will not work for supressing installation counts. Your solution (deleting the installation records) is the only way. Make sure you tell audit loader not to load new software installations in Loading Collected data administrative panel. Otherwise all the records you deleted will be regenerated next time you import an audit.
mhull

Reg: PC's

Postby sureshk on Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:25 am

Is there any way to retain non usable pc like replaced, as we do not want to remove from the inventory but keep is as unuseable with a comment.

That is even though it is there it should not be treated as nodes. As we are running out of nodes with at least 20 % replaced pc's out of service.

If you could give a tag called out of service and once ticked it should not be treated as node.
sureshk

Postby mhull on Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:01 pm

Each PC in the Computer List counts as a node for licensing purposes. This is by design and there is no workaround.
mhull

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Inventory Discussion