Question on auditing results

Open discussion about the Asset Navigator Inventory

Question on auditing results

Postby amwoza on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:14 am

I've noticed that the auditing allows information to be captured from the Event logs, as well as information regarding specific files on the computer. Where is this information kept? I cannot find a place to display it within the program.

Thanks,
amwoza
amwoza
Junior

Postby mhull on Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:17 pm

This information is only displayed by our Alloy Network Inventory software. It is not available for viewing through Asset Navigator.
mhull

Postby Dave Crain on Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:03 pm

amwoza - I also had to ask this question. It's almost like you want a piece of Asset Navigator and a piece of Network Inventory Analyzer.

We ended up setting AN to not do any file scans. We really wanted the information, especially to monitor things like mp3 files, etc., but found we really couldn't get at the data. Plus, when we turned file scanning on, the file scan took up to 5 minutes+ on some machines, which was unacceptable to our users.

Why you would put a file scan engine in a product that can't display file information is beyond me...
Dave Crain
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:13 pm

Asset Navigator uses the file scan for the Software Recognition module, so it certainly displays file scan data. It just doesn't display the same data as Network Inventory.

We recommend Asset Navigator users leave the file scan off unless they know they need it. Most people never use Software Recognition since the default software scan is sufficient for most.
mhull

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Inventory Discussion