Relationship between Software Licenses and Software Products

Open discussion about the Alloy Navigator 5 Asset Management

Relationship between Software Licenses and Software Products

Postby gsingleton@securaplane.co on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi,
I am working to implement AN5 to help us maintain license compliance. It appears that there is no direct correlation between the Software Products discovered during audits and the Software Licenses you have entered (either directly or via PO receipt). How do users out there use AN to help you manage license installations and verify compliance?
Glen
gsingleton@securaplane.co

Postby eliaslynch on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:20 pm

I had some trouble understanding the best way to handle this at first too. With some help from support I was able to get some help, but consider I'm still a bit green. Also this topic is huge so I think I'd be late for dinner if I tried to post everything I learned :) Just ask if I don't answer something.

The link between software license and software product is that product field and you'll also notice that the software product section shows information about the license. Columns like total quantity, allocated and reconciled are directly related to software license records.

Total Quantity - total of licenses you have
Allocated - total of computers assigned to the licenses
Reconciled - total of computers allocated and discovered

From the license side you can allocate from the allocate tab. This is a manual process that you can use to relate a computer to a license as you get it. If you want to simply have computers allocated right away based on discovery you can check off master license.

After you setup licenses and allocate, assign license counts, etc. you can either manage the compliancy from the license area of products area. I like the products area much better honestly.

Hopefully that gives you some info you were looking for...ask if I didn't. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but I'm feeling confident :shock:
eliaslynch
Senior

Postby gsingleton@securaplane.co on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks! That gives me a great place to start "playing." Anyone else care to throw their .02 in?
gsingleton@securaplane.co

Postby janstonselig on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 am

The Software Recognition Manager can be a bit tricky to get used to, but once you get it you can use it to merge software titles. I would watch out for the Join Rules feature though. Support was nice enough to show me when and why it would be used - typically for rules you no longer care about :) Since then I've been creating a Software Product and then a specific rule for whatever situation.

Oh and don't modify existing software products or rules. It can get messy and confusing!
janstonselig
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Asset Management Discussion