messageid woes

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

messageid woes

Postby geraldhayward on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:35 pm

For some reason my users love to create new emails and send them to me instead of replying to emails with the messageid tag in the subject line! lol This is of course annoying cause it creates new tickets and a big mess, but I know the Navigator can't stop this from happening.

What can really be hard to deal with is out of office messages. When a user sets the out of office message to replace the subject line of an email instead of RE:'ing to it, this causes crazy message with looping notifications and new tickets and such.

Has anyone found a way to stop out of office messages from looping - create ticket, send notification, create ticket, etc and has anyone found a good way to handle customers who don't reply to the email sent from Navigator?

Any help much appreciated.
geraldhayward
Junior

Re: messageid woes

Postby GPS on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

You can add a condition to the rules triggering these with something like : Summary does not contain 'Out of Office'. Also for mails that bounce back because the mail address is incorrect something like : Requester.Email does not equal 'Postmaster@whatever'.
GPS
Senior

Postby geraldhayward on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:39 pm

GPS wrote:You can add a condition to the rules triggering these with something like : Summary does not contain 'Out of Office'. Also for mails that bounce back because the mail address is incorrect something like : Requester.Email does not equal 'Postmaster@whatever'.

Thanks! I've used this for the last week or so and it cut these down a bunch. Unfortunately it doesn't work for all cases cause some people don't have Out of Office in the subject - can you believe that??

I also put in another condition - whether it's needed or not - that says:

<Initiator>.Type equals Mail Connector

and created an 'Abort' action which I'm guessing is

I just hope no one is contacting me due to their Out of Office feature not working in Outlook :P
geraldhayward
Junior

Postby eliaslynch on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Hehe, you know I never thought of that. I use the same approach so if someone sends me an email with the subject saying "I'm having issues with my Out of Office setup" it will discard their ticket!

I wonder if there's a way to control end users out of office setup using Exchange. I'm not Exchange admin.
--------
Elias
eliaslynch
Senior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion