Ability to Relate more than one CI to a Ticket

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Ability to Relate more than one CI to a Ticket

Postby GPS on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 am

Would it be possible for Tickets – particularly Change Requests – to have more than one Related CI under the General Tab. Currently if a Change affects more than one CI we have to add the remainder as a Related Object which then prevents them from showing up under the Ticket History.

Cheers
Mark
GPS
Senior

Postby janstonselig on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 am

We're just starting to use change requests in my company, but what I was recommended to do is to use work orders with change requests and this can solve your situation I think.

Let's say you're upgrading a server to handle new software. You have software and hardware to be changed. You'd have a work order for the hardware change and a work order for the software change. Each of these would have the related ci set accordingly.

Hope that helps.
janstonselig
Senior

Re: Ability to Relate more than one CI to a Ticket

Postby rzamora on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 pm

I second the original poster's request. We often have situations where we apply mass changes to systems. For example, a software update to all client computers or servers, changing local administrator passwords on all clients or servers, etc. Creating a work order for each affected system is just not a practical solution.

Also as the original poster stated, we can add the changes as Related Objects, but then it does not show up in the ticket history. Plus, I like using Related Objects to denote relationships and dependencies with other CIs and it would be counterproductive to clutter up Related Objects with tickets.

The ability to have one-to-many relationships between Change Requests especially -- but all Ticket types would be great -- to Related CIs would be a huge benefit for my environment.

rz
rzamora

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion