Need help setting up relationship types

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Need help setting up relationship types

Postby rexnmiller on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:32 pm

In our current Standard Operating Procedure when we replace one computer with another computer the "Old" computer is associated with the ticket requesting placement of the new computer. This creates an audit trail for computer assets.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the differences in the styles of Object Relationships.

When we imported our v.4 incidents into v.5 I found that the "New" computer was imported as a Related CI and that the "Old" computer was imported as a Related Object with the Relationship Type set to "Dependent". I've looked at the definition of the Dependent Object Relationship and fond the Kind set to "Sibling" and no Objects selected. I'm assuming this Relationship Type came standard with v.5 or was a product of the import from v.4 because of two computers being associated with one ticket in many instances.

While working on a new incident (post-upgrade) and trying to "Relate" the Old computer to the incident I would get the error, "There are no defined relationship types for this class of object." I have gone in to the Administrative Settings and into the Dependent Object Relationships definition and selected (or turned on) Incident and Computer. This has allowed me to relate or add a secondary computer to the list of Related Objects in any given incident.

I have since removed my modifications from the "Dependent" definition and created a new Relationship called "Related Computer" with Incident and Computer selected. This I tested and it appears to be working as expected allowing me to associate secondary computer objects to help desk tickets.

What I'd like to know is your opinion on using the "Sibling" Type in this situation. Is this the correct usage for this type of relationship or should I be using Parent-Child. Also, should I create a Relationship Type specifically for each relationship, i.e., Related Computer, Related Hardware, Related Network, Related Person, etc.

I've also noticed that on initial creation, setting the Kind to Sibling doesn't seem to hold. When editing the relationship after creation the Kind seems to mysteriously change to Parent-Child. Subsequently setting it back to Sibling seems to hold, weird. Thanks.

Rex
rexnmiller

Re: Need help setting up relationship types

Postby pille on Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Let me get this straight:

You have a request to replace a machine. You want to mark the machine to be replaced as well as the machine replacing it.

There's tons of different ways to do this, but the way I would do it is as follows:
1. In the Incident I would use Related CI for the machine being replaced.
2. At the computer record of the machine being replaced, I would use related objects to link to the machine replacing it.
3. I would probably create a parent-child relationship type with values of 'Replacing' and 'Replaced By'

rexnmiller wrote:I've also noticed that on initial creation, setting the Kind to Sibling doesn't seem to hold. When editing the relationship after creation the Kind seems to mysteriously change to Parent-Child. Subsequently setting it back to Sibling seems to hold, weird. Thanks.

This issue I haven't seen. I'd contact support if you can duplicate it.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion