Active Directory import

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Active Directory import

Postby rexnmiller on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 pm

In the Active Directory Synchronization jobs creation, under the "Options" tab there is a selection for Self Service Portal integration: "Create client accounts for new persons."

It appears that Self Service Portal client accounts are only created when the corresponding selection "Update records in the database with data from Active Directory" is selected or when there is a person in AD and no corresponding person in Alloy. If there is an existing corresponding person in Alloy, no Client Account is created.

Can someone please confirm that this is the case?

I currently have "Persons" in Alloy Navigator with more information than the User objects in Active Directory. With "Update records..." turned off Client Accounts aren't created but the Persons fields in Alloy are left untouched. With "Update records..." turned on Alloy creates the Self Service Client Accounts, but any Persons field in Alloy that has a corresponding field in Active Directory that is blank is also blanked out in Alloy. It seems that Active Directory always "wins" the update.

Bottom line is this: I want Alloy to automatically create Client Accounts but not at the expense of lost information from the Alloy Persons fields. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Rex
rexnmiller

Re: Active Directory import

Postby pille on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:46 pm

rexnmiller wrote:Can someone please confirm that this is the case?

I believe that you're correct. If you have it set not to update and client accounts do not exist, they won't be created.

One thing to note is that in 5.4 (coming later this year) you will have the ability to map fields. I can't verify completely since until it's released nothing is completely official, but I believe it will also have replace methods similar to that of the Inventory mapping so you could choose not to replace the person records phone number with that of AD, etc.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion