How to make use of the Software Recognition Manager

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

How to make use of the Software Recognition Manager

Postby Rayman2008 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi, I had manually created a new software entry by using the registry recognition method. However, it seems that it cannot be detected by the software. So, does anyone has any idea to this? OR how should I make sure of this recognition utility?
Thanks
Rayman2008

Re: How to make use of the Software Recognition Manager

Postby pille on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Rayman2008 wrote:Hi, I had manually created a new software entry by using the registry recognition method. However, it seems that it cannot be detected by the software. So, does anyone has any idea to this? OR how should I make sure of this recognition utility?
Thanks

Welcome Rayman :)

The Software Recognition Management (SRM)'s best use is being able to merge like-products for the eventual purpose of software licensing. A Software Rule and a Software Product make up the how and what of the software part of the inventory.

Keep in mind that the Software Rules are processed only when audit snapshots are imported so adding a Software Rule will not do anything by itself.

Also, when software is detected, rules and products are automatically created. Typically it's best to wait for computers to be imported and software to be detected before creating any additional rules. You may not know how they are recorded in the registry so creating rules that don't match installed software may be a waste of time.

That's the best I can do without knowing exactly what you're trying to do.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion