Business rules/workflow

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Business rules/workflow

Postby adisinternational on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Once you get into AN5.x it's interesting how caught up you get in the "Hey, I could use business rules to do <this> and <that>" to automate or simplify business processes. We started off with a small rule base and it has swelled to well over 200 now as I keep coming up with new nifty things that I can automate with the suprisingly powerful business rules system (I sound like an Alloy salesman).

I was wondering if anyone has any nifty rules/workflows they have implemented that they would care to share, which might give others some good ideas in building their own rules/workflows..?

For example, I have implemented a system for approval of change requests, as follows:

When our technicians want to make a change to the environment, they create a Change Request and assign it to themselves. Once they add a due date (the date/time on which they want to make the change) it automatically changes to a status of "Scheduled - Unapproved". They are unable to put the ticket In Progress until it has been approved. The method for this is to spawn a Work Order from the CR and assign it to their manager. This Work Order has a special category/type which is for CR Approval. Most of the WO fields are automatically filled out with the CR info. The manager reads the WO (and the CR if they like) and can approve or decline the request by simply resolving the Work Order with one of two special closure codes (Approved or Declined). As soon as the WO is closed with one of these closure codes, special read-only custom fields in the parent CR are automatically filled in with the approvers name and the date/time it was approved (or not) and if it's been approved, the parent ticket detects this and automatically changes it's status to "Scheduled - Approved" from which the technician is able to put it In Progress and ultimately Resolve it.

In this way we have removed paper from the CR approval process while still keeping a fully trackable log of the approval process and who and when it was approved etc.
adisinternational
Junior

Postby pille on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:55 pm

That sounds like it works really nice actually.

We have an example we sometimes gives customers which allows members of a group to approve or deny a cr through use of activities almost like voting. You can see the amount of approvals or denials required.

It's nice if you have a change approval group where they all have power over the process. You could probably simplify it if you had one person who approves by making them the assignee.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Good idea.

Postby mav on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:22 pm

We are evaluating version 5 right now. I would be interested in trying out some of your groups business rules.

I am looking to use the new version to assists with change request and controls for SOX compliance.

Any help would be great...I only have 30 days to see if this will work for my company.

Thanks
mav
Junior

Re: Good idea.

Postby pille on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:51 pm

mav wrote:We are evaluating version 5 right now. I would be interested in trying out some of your groups business rules.

I am looking to use the new version to assists with change request and controls for SOX compliance.

Any help would be great...I only have 30 days to see if this will work for my company.

Thanks

Hey mav,

I'd contact us directly at support. We can just schedule a webex to go over it. I'd open a ticket for you myself, but I can't find the email address you used in the forum in our database.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion