Required fields for technicians

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Required fields for technicians

Postby SitusIT on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:56 am

I would like to be able to force a technician to enter a resolution description when closing tickets, I can't seem to find where the record is to force the field as mandatory, also would like to be able to display this as part of the tickets view, is this possible ? thanks
SitusIT

Re: Required fields for technicians

Postby pille on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 pm

SitusIT wrote:I would like to be able to force a technician to enter a resolution description when closing tickets, I can't seem to find where the record is to force the field as mandatory, also would like to be able to display this as part of the tickets view, is this possible ? thanks

The field I'm guessing you're trying to make mandatory is the 'add activity' checkbox? If so, there is no way to make that madatory unfortunately.

Probably the best way to handle this is to have technicians resolve tickets instead of closing them. It's typically best practice anyway based on the mail connector and web portal functionality being as customers are unable to reopen ticket to make additional comments if needed.

Anyhow, in short, if you had technicians place tickets in resolved initially, you could force them to do it through the activity function. You can do the following through business logic.

- Activity (w/category Resolution) > changes ticket status to resolved
- Ticket status change to resolved or closed is not allowed
- Tickets in resolved unmodified for (time interval) are closed

This allows you to make sure techs enter information on resolution and also make sure customers can update tickets if needed to let you know an issue is not resolved.

Of course there's other ways to do this. Just ask if you have questions.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Postby adisinternational on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 pm

Just a quick comment that this is exactly how we do it (thanks to some assistance from Paul a few months back) and it works perfectly. I use it to ensure that my techs cannot close/resolve a ticket manually, they use an activity to do it which forces them to enter a resolution descrition and at least >0 time spent for tracking. There's a lot of nifty things you can do around the logic as well, mine auto-fills in the closure code and a few other fields, for example.

Regards,
Brian.
adisinternational
Junior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion